Boston Baby!

Trip Start Dec 22, 2011
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Maine
Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Onward and outward we head from Boston venturing north up the east coast back to the homeland in our lovely little rented Toyota Corolla. We quite enjoyed ourselves in Boston considering the circumstances, it is a beautiful city with so much going on and people are more than helpful and friendly.  Our hotel, The Hilton, was conveniently located at the airport that had easy access to the subway which could get us right downtown. We spent our first full day enjoying the beautiful weather walking around downtown Boston and taking in the pre race events going on. Trying to absorb the fact that we were here for the Boston Marathon. We enjoyed a Red Sox game in Fenway Park, one of the oldest Ball fields in the United States as well that afternoon!  We tried to get to bed at a decent time seeing as it was race day the next morning for Ryan and we were still not used to the 3 hour time change out East here. We were getting into bed at about 9:30 which would have been 6:30 our time and our bodies were just not quite used to this Eastern time yet. So needless to say along with the pre race jitters, it was hard to fall asleep and then wake up for 5:30am which would be 2:30am our regular time!  Our poor bodies! Oh and yes I did have prerace jitters even though I was not even doing the race!!  All I kept thinking was 'Ryan is doing the Boston marathon when we wake up, please God let his body feel good!'When our wake up call rang at 5:30 I think we were both already awake awaiting that moment of  'go time'.  Ryan got up did his pre race routine, making sure everything was together, his head was in race mode as he busied himself in the room making sure he had everything organized. His mom, Brenda, and I sat there in support if he needed anything but looked to us he had it under control. He headed out to meet other racers at the finish line where they would all load up on buses and be taken down to the start line. This was the only guaranteed way of transportation to make it to the start line on time.  It was hard to not be with Ryan while he counted down the last couple hours before beginning this race, especially being such a huge race for him.  The Boston Athletic Association definitely takes care of their athletes though, Ryan said there was a full breakfast, coffee, music playing and a bunch of massage tables set up at the start, so even though the racers had a good two hours pre race to spend at the start there, they were well looked after. Meanwhile Brenda and I were picked up by our 'personal driver' at our hotel and chauffeured out to a point along the course to anxiously await Ryan. It was so nice to have hired this lovely man to drive us around for the morning, if it wasn't for him I really don't think we would have made it out on the course. We would have probably just gone to the finish line and waited there for Ryan to complete the race. But getting out on the course was so great because it allowed us to enjoy the passing of the athletes racing for first place and partake in cheering on hundreds of eager and tenacious runners. What an experience though, all I kept thinking was, 'we're here, we are watching the Boston Marathon and Ryan is doing it!'  I felt so anxious as we waited so patiently there on the sideline for Ryan to pass. We were so excited to surprise him out there and cheer him on. I said to Brenda at one point, "I'm not sure if I am going to cry, yell or scream or just exactly what I am going to do when we see him!" I think I did all of the above. As we saw him approaching in the constant flow of runners I ran up ahead so I could run along side him and cheer him on. I must have sounded like a blubbering mess of a wife because I can't quite remember what I said, I was just so proud.  Then it was off to the finish line from there, we wanted to try to get as close to the finish as we could- but so did 50 000 other people! We were able to get to a point along the finishing stretch where we could see the racers faces light up as they saw the finish line ahead.  We screamed and yelled as loud as we could as we saw Ryan run past with a big smile on his face, it gave me goosebumps and brought tears to my eyes to see him finishing this monumental race. Even though we were unable to see Ryan cross the actual finish line it was quite something to just stand back and take in the energy and roar of fans cheering on these athletes as they crossed the finish line. When we met up with Ryan he was all smiles and on a high from the race. He said it was like no other race he has even done, the fans that supported and cheered them on were  non stop, the constant pack of runners and the rush of running toward the finish was everything he imagined this race to be. Check it off the bucket list!Then of course the celebration came to a quick hault when we were back in our hotel room cheers 'ing' Ryan's accomplishment as we turned on the news to watch this tragic event take place exactly where we had just come from. We could not believe our eyes as we sat in our hotel room glued to the tv watching in awe at what was taking place. It really was a surreal feeling, my thoughts were 'this can't be happening in the same city as we are in, we were just there and everyone was cheering like crazy watching loved ones and friends cross the finish line and now it is covered in smoke and debre with Bomb Scene Investigaters flooding the area.'  We were so saddened to see this unfold before our eyes. We spent that night in our hotel restaurant in disbelief as we tried to understand what had happened that day. We went to bed fairly early and awoke the next day to a new day and wanting to enjoy Boston for the beautiful city it is.  So we enjoyed a sunny day in the city with Brenda wandering through markets and shops and enjoying restaurant patios on the water. This morning we parted with Brenda as she is staying in Boston for a conference and we made our way out of the city heading north up the East Coast toward Canada. We have found this little oasis on the Atlantic Ocean in the small town of Rockland, called Island View Inn. It is peaceful and serene here as we sit on our private patio overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. Nice to be out of the chaos of the city. And for tomorrow we are New Brunswick bound. 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


joelene on

Sounds like a great trip so far! Look forward to the pictures :) love you xoxo

mom and dad on

Wow, what an adventure so far! enjoy the rest of your ya both xo

Jackie on

Hi Ryan & Jess:
Congrats on your amazing marathon run! Hope you are having a fabulous time on the beautiful east coast!
Much love,
The Manlove's

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: