Bromo Volcano

Trip Start Feb 03, 2009
Trip End Aug 23, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Indonesia  , Java,
Friday, March 6, 2009

We have just reached Bali after a long and tiring 48 hours. Our trip was from Yogyakarta to Mt Bromo and then on to Denpasar in Bali. It cost us a little ovr 30 euro for the whole trip including accommodation and breakfast, buses and ferries. We had a one night, a very short one at that, up near the volcano. We set off from 'Jogja' at 9.00am and reached the place to stay near the volcano at about 9.00pm. Luckily we had the whole minibus to ourselves so could lie down for a ten hour journey. When we arrived at the hotel wedidn't recognise it because, well, it was a hotel. Here we were told to check-in and they gave us a key and took our breaky order and said goodnight without even asking our name. We put our heads down and scuttled off to the room, which had hot water and was a decent enough room too. We were originally told that it would be a cold water shower at some other place but hows ever it was all good! Score!

Now on to the short night. We had to be up at 4.00am to catch a jeep, that was a pimped out old-school 1970's Toyota Landcruiser, to get up an opposite mountain to see the sunrise over a distant sulfur-puffing volcano. Now the sunrise wasn't directly over it so we ended up, or I did as Meals was still a little sleepy, taking pictures back and forth of both the sunrise and the volcano every couple of minutes as the dam light kept changing better and better. It was a lovely sunrise, different than on a beach but nonetheless beautiful. Afterwards it was on down through the sandy volcano plain to Mt Bromo where we walked up the however many steps (about 300) to the top of the crater. Now that in itself was exhausting task, even after Kinabalu. Up hear I loved it and went around the top of the crater to its highest point, this is me we're talking about, with Andy a fella we just met. To try and explain what it was like will be difficult but here goes. The distance down inside was quite a way and steep too. I couldn't throw a rock into reach then centre or was anywhere near. Also the sulfur smoke pouring out kept changing direction from the wind and when it engulfs you, oh boy is it hard to breath. A real hard burn instantly in the back of the throat. I was in my element and could spend all day there but Meals had to drag me down otherwise we'd miss our jeep spin back the the hotel. Thankfully again the weather was perfect and we have some great pictures that morning.

After our free breaky we minibused back down to catch a coach on to the boat and across to Bali. Annoying thing was that we were kept waiting for three hours for this coach and rushed from the volcano to be down for colection by it at 9.30am. The late pick up was also putting back the time we got to Denpasar where we wanted to then go onto Ubud for the night. After all the faffing we arrived inUbud at one in the morning and luckily found a room with two other guys. It was very lucky because when the taxi dropped us off the place was completely deserted looking.

So we had ended up covering an enormous amount of distance with bonuses for not much money. They were a long couple of days but well worth it in the end!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: