Day 95 101 - Cameroon, Limbe - Mango Daquiris

Trip Start Nov 09, 2008
Trip End Jul 02, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Cameroon  ,
Thursday, February 12, 2009

Oliver and I awake to hear the drama of last night unfold as we were already in bed.  Luke and Clara took Kristy to the police station early morning but she was simply told to "come back later" followed by "crimes like that don't happen here".  She ended up having to return about 5 times and even then I'm not sure she ever obtained a police report. 

The rest of our time in Limbe was spent in various ways. 

Those wanting to trek Mt Cameroon, West Africa's highest mountain at 4,000m, went off for a 2 night, 3 day trip.  Having spent the last few weeks undecided Oliver finally had to bite the bullet and choose not to go because of his ankle.  Very frustrating for him.  With ocean views, swimming pool, bakery and fast internet connection there was not even a fleeting possibility of me doing it.  And leave all this?  Not in a million. 

To reinforce this decision the heavens opened and there was a torrential downpour an hour before they were due to leave at 5:45am.  We battened down the hatches and went back to sleep whilst the others bravely prepared to trek.  The rain continued throughout the day - big heavy tropical drops swept around by gusty sea breezes.  We couldn't help but think of the poor soaked little trekkers whilst we sat comfy and dry a bar, overlooking the thrashing sea, watching endless sport, drinking ice cold beers and enjoying yet again the delights of street meat.  Know where I would prefer to be.

Jamie, NZ Mike and Luke didn't want to go with a guide so headed off by themselves at 1am, leaving the rest of the group concerned for their safety but wishing them a good trip all the same.  They made it up and back by 4pm the day after.

Suzy did 3 days volunteer work at the zoo/wildlife sanctuary.  Sorting through 100's of kg of bananas, holding a gorilla's hand, patting a chimp and having a brilliant time. Very lucky to be given such a wonderful opportunity.

Oliver and I chilled by the pool, ate a heap at the bakery, caught up on internet - including the blog - stoked!!  Chatted to parents (great to finally have a good skype connection!).  Watched rugby and best of all discovered the E Channel so sat watching all the trash TV I so much love - including new episodes of Sunset Tan!!  Fabulous.  Did feel a bit strange though watching the highly materialistic world on TV whilst in a not so materialistic country.

Another wonderful discovery was Arne - a gorgeous little bar run by the sweetest of girls, Erica from Jo'burg and her lovely husband Ryan from Cameroon.  It served to die for food with real cheese!!  Bunny Chow Delux (massive roll filled with chips, avocado and cheese) Mmmm Mmm Mmmm and toasted cheese, tomato and basil sandwiches.  A seemingly simple dish but one so delicious and rare you wanted to savour every mouthful. 

To top if off they also served the BEST mango daquiris EVER.  Even better than those in London at Dirty Martini/Retox!  That's saying something.       

They had a gorgeous little shop annexed to the bar with imports from around Africa.  Of course I wanted to buy about a million and one things.  After visiting there 3 days in a row I finally caved and bought a gorgeous bracelet watch.  So pretty and super easy to make so I'll be hoping to churn out a few when I return to London. 

The day the trekkers left we were reunited with the other truck.  They hadn't been so fortunate in their trip through the jungle roads - basically having to walk the entire way digging as they went.  They've also been struck down by illness - 2 with malaria, 1 with typhoid and malaria and another with typhoid, malaria and worms.  Very unlucky.

We on the other hand just seem to contract weird and wonderful animals.  Sam and I with our giggy worms in our feet.  I think mine has now gone but the skin has come away from where he burrowed.  The thing on Jay's back turned out to be a moving lava searching for a blood vessel to get down to his intestines.  It couldn't seem to find one which was the reason why he kept scooting around his back.  Oliver tried to do a mini operation by cutting open Jay's back with a stanley knife (he's a trained carpenter after all).  Found a small white thing which he tried to pull out with tweezers but didn't seem to do much good so eventually Jay made it to a Dr who diagnosed it, said the white thing was its mouth and handed over some drugs to get rid of it. 

Mum and Jamie had bites that were getting infected and starting to resemble boils.  After much prodding, poking and researching the discovery was made that they were in fact maggots!  Mm Mm Mmmmm I'll keep Harold thanks.  They're currently trying to bring it to the surface by suffocating it with vasoline.  Will keep you posted.

Besides from that we're all fit, healthy and malaria free.  Fingers crossed it stays that way.
We're down two more people with Josh and Rachel leaving on the 17th.   Very sad to see them go but as they finish in Cape Town they decided to do a few weeks/months by themselves instead of endless drive days on the truck.  Plan is to fly to Jo'burg then head up to Vic Falls, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Namibia and end back in Cape Town to meet up with a few of us for cricket, OZ v South Africa, on 9 April.  Hopefully they will still have some dosh left!

Muzza got into a spot of bother by getting mugged by 5 rather burly local boys.  He had walked into a derelict building to set up a photoshoot.  The boys, who had originally agreed to help out with the shoot, had a change of heart and roughed him up, took his cash then left.  Very grateful was he that they didn't take his camera.

It was Mum Kate's birthday whilst trekking Mt Cameroon so when they arrived back we all headed to Arne for a night of bunny chow and cocktails.  It also fitting in perfectly with Josh and Rachel's last night so had a bit of a farewell for them also.  Great night with a lot of laughs.

Plans have changed so we're no longer going to Kribi but direct to Yaounde.  The other truck phoned to say it takes 3 days to get each VISA and as we're hoping to get 3, Gabon, DRC and Congo, that means a possible two weeks in the city.  We may get down to Kribi after Yaounde but it just depends how long we're stuck there for. 
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: