Bursa: After the Flood

Trip Start Feb 08, 2008
Trip End Sep 11, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Turkey  , Bursa,
Wednesday, July 2, 2008

On this day I decided to use the house washing machine to do some laundry.

The control knob on the washing machine is broken; it can't turn the controls. I bought some "super glue" and glued the broken piece back. It broke again when I tried it. So much for "super glue." Nevertheless, I glued the piece back on.

Nevermind, I could use the vise-grip pliers to run the control, and just put the knob on to read the station in the cycle. I started a wash. I put my cell phone "reminder" on an hour, and took a nap. It was a hot day.

When I woke, the washing was still in progress. I looked at the numbers and saw it was just about to the spin-dry number. But when it got to that number, it didn't spin-dry. In fact, I hadn't been cognizant enough to notice that rather than draining water between wash and rinse cycles, the machine had just been accumulating water, and as I watched water started gushing out a hole at the top of the back! It was even dribbling out of the soap dish tray at the front top. I freaked, and fearing water in the electronics, pulled the plug.

But, with the machine off, I couldn't open the front-loading door. So I had to turn it back on to open the door, which then poured water and I immediately noticed the floor drain was too clogged to drain rapidly and a lake was forming on the floor in which I didn't want to be standing while worrying about electronics and tracking on recently cleaned floors so I shut the door again.

I thought: I'm going to take a walk. Let the floor drain and dry; deal with it later.

Just then the door bell--well, it's actually kind of a bird chirping sound--rang. Or rather, chirped. It was my friend Mesut and a visitor from Belgium. They were visiting the Green Mosque and stopped by. Just in time.

We three went walking, first visiting a couple of other noted mosques, then taking a dolmus up to the Teleferik station. We bought picnic makings: bread, tomatoes, sausage links, green peppers. The Teleferik is a cable car that goes high up into the mountains that rise steeply out of Bursa city. We just went up to the first station, then hiked up through the woods to a spot Mesut and some mates have for camping. Basically we just made a lunch, enjoyed the scenery, and went back down to the city.

In the evening we went to the Karabaş-i Veli Cultural Center for an evening performance of the Whirling Dervishes and accompanying music and song. The ney player (the ney is a bamboo flute) recognized me from previous attendances, and invited the three of us to have tea with him after the evening session.

Afterwards, I walked with him and his family part of the way back to my place, as I had to get to bed for the next day's outing with the sculptors.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: