Millions of Malls.

Trip Start Jan 28, 2009
Trip End Sep 05, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Gondia International Guesthouse

Flag of Indonesia  , Java,
Thursday, July 2, 2009

So here we are in Jakarta. We finally left Lake Toba, which was a beautiful and relaxing place to be but 6 days is enough. Oli had to leave Tuk-Tuk and come back again once even because we ran out of money and Tuk-tuk (the town we were staying at on Samosir Island on Lake Toba) doesn't have ATMs.

Anyway. It was a long ordeal to get out of there, we took a packed taxi to the airport (4hrs cramped together with my chin on my knees and carsick, ugh) and the Medan airport was probably the crappiest airport I've ever seen. Except for maybe the airport in Cebu City, Phillipines which was basically a wooden box - but that's a different story.

Then at the airport there was this huge group of English summer-camp people all wearing matching t-shirts that we managed to get ourselves stuck behind, so we had to wait an hour in line before checking in. The plane wasn't bad though, Air Asia is pretty good for such a cheap airline. Good sammiches too :o)

So.. Jakarta. It's a hard city to explore. Yesterday we spent the day checking out one of their malls, not exciting I know.. but Jakarta has like 380743280472864 malls (some of which are themed) so it's kinda the thing to do here. Oli and I got our hair done because we're matching like that, and window shopped. We went to dinner at a restaurant mall that was super high-tech, on the second floor there were these beehive-looking cubicles for conferences, and a giant slide that came down through the center of everything.


Okay I just looked it up, apparently it's the 'World's Longest Slide'. Cool. Article and photos here.

That's what we did yesterday. It was expensive and trendy but fun. Today we went in search of an internet cafe, which is ridiculously hard to find here by the way, and despite attempting to save money by walking we gave up and got in a taxi in the end. Now I'm sitting in a little cubicle trying to fix our iPhone (which I accidentally broke in Bangkok at Brett's house..) and I'm going slightly crazy waiting for the 3.0 firmware to download so I can upgrade the phone and then jailbreak and unlock it. And if you don't understand that, don't worry about it. I'm a geek.

Okay... back to watching the download... Next entry when we're in Borneo.

Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: