Our Last Day - By Sidney

Trip Start Jun 02, 2010
Trip End Jun 16, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United Kingdom  , England,
Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Hi again, it's Sidney.

 I'm writing this on a train from York to London. After we finish this train ride, get off at King's Cross, take the Tube to Heathrow, sleep for 4 hours in our Yotel, fly to Munich, change flights to Charlotte, fly back to North Carolina, get in our car, and drive for 3 hours, we'll be home. Phew.
 Meanwhile, we're still in England. Today we ran around trying to see as much of York as we could before we ran out of time. Naturally, we ran out of things to do around lunch, with three or four hours to kill. What could we do?

The answer came to me. It was an ancient tradition of our family. It was a ritual made to be performed in cities. So naturally, we had to do it.We got lost.
 Part of the above story is true. We did indeed see the city walls and the Railway Museum before 1:00. Dad was excited about seeing the Flying Scotsman (the first train to reach 100mph), but I spent a substantial portion of my time there examining the "Thomas the Tank Engine" store and reliving old memories. Actually, reading those books really helped me understand the museum, as every train on desplay seemed to have an analog in the Thomas books.

[After writing this part of this entry, we left the main railway and took the Tube from King's Cross to Heathrow airport. But first...]
The passengers were sparse as we searched the platform. This was perfectly natural, since it was 8:00 in the evening. Nevertheless, there was a huge rush of people at one point, who we later discovered were heading to the same place as we were. My mom asked an employee for directions,"Go left, straight, pass the bike racks, and left again." We did so. There was a large crowd of young people around our destination. We peered through the crowd. I announced, "This is it." It was Platform 9 and 3/4.
After taking pictures there, we headed to Heathrow and followed the signs toward our Yotel pod room. Checking in was fairly straightforward. We pressed a few buttons, swiped our credit card, and we were in. We headed into our suite (of which pictures will come later). It's like sleeping in a closet - literally. We're only here for about 4 hours, though, so it'll work fine.I have to go to bed now. In all likelihood, we'll be next updating from the USA!
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: