A Cambodian tropical paradise

Trip Start Aug 14, 2012
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Cambodia  ,
Friday, December 14, 2012

The ferry here left at 8am from the mainland so by 10.30am we were settled in our tiny, tiny room on the pier looking at the crystal clear water through the floorboards - a little slice of The Maldives. I had chosen a room in a restaurant owned by an Italian lady as the beach huts elsewhere provided too many opportunities for critters to break in! Although it was small, there were no bugs and far fewer Mosquitos as they don't really like the salty water. The shared bathroom was also clean despite the squat toilet and bucket flush straight into the sea below (we saw trial divers in the sea there; maybe they didn't know about La Mami's toilet)!!!

We headed for the beach and after passing two, we got to a deserted beach about half an hour walk away. It was beautiful so we alternately read and swam for a couple of hours. We then bumped into an author, Robin Bayley, who we had met on the ferry where he told us about his travels in South America (useful tips for our travels). He had been following his Grandfather's footsteps there after hearing stories from his Grandmother. He got to the village in S. America where his Grandfather once worked and found a village full of 'Bayleys'. An interesting story and a really nice guy so we've since bought his book (The Mango Orchard) on the Kindle. Anyway, he warned us about sand flies and we realised we'd been eaten alive by the buggers, particularly Shane who had about 80 bites over his back. Needless to say, we left the beach and chilled in one of the bars of a hut resort.

That night we ate real Italian gnocchi which was nice if a little overpriced! The Italian lady who owns the place is really scatty so we were just glad to get food! The electricity was on from 5.30pm and cut out at 10.30pm which basically meant bedtime for us. No sooner had we gone into our room, we raced out again as a really loud sound - like 'eh-oh' - came from the corner of our room. The Cambodian waiter laughed at us as apparently it's just a Tokay Gecko, although it was at least 20cm long! He told us it 'sings' in the night and if he does an odd number of 'eh-ohs' it's good luck. I counted 10 that night during one 'singing session'. This singing meant a very broken nights sleep, but there was no chance of removing the lizard because it is very territorial and can bite and has lived there for the last six months - at least it was better than a spider being a foot away from your head in bed! On top of that, the eaves were all open in this hut on stilts so you could also hear everything and everyone in the morning - 6am wake up call!

Due to the lizard and the noise in the morning we decided to just stay one more night. We went to the islands only yellow sandy beach and avoided the sand flies that day by staying in the shade. We found a good local restaurant for dinner which wasn't overpriced, did some star gazing on the pier, and had one more night of broken sleep! The return ferry was a slow two hours as we headed back to Sihanoukville.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


val on

Merry Xmas to you both! Really enjoying your blog. Happy New Year
lots of love
Val and Ian xx

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: