Chiang Mai Hilltribes Trek

Trip Start May 23, 2010
Trip End Jun 24, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Downtown Inn Hotel Chiang Mai

Flag of Thailand  ,
Saturday, July 3, 2010

Tuesday 29th June 2010

We arrived Chiang Mai rather sleep deprived about 8am. At least our tour guide was already waiting for us and drove us to our hotel where we passed out for most of the day and only had enough energy to find some food in the evening before going to bed again. 

Wednesday 30th June 2010

The next morning we met with our group and guide, this is where the adventure started. We road in an open pick-up truck, nothing for anyone who values safety. Our first stop was a local market. The second a waterfall we were supposed to be able to swim in - rather small for that but still very refreshing. Our group consisted of a family from Norway, a couple from Ireland, an other couple from Norway, a girl from Sweden and us. Everyone was very nice, thanks (Jenna/Charlotte :-) ) God. We finally arrived Mae Malai in the afternoon from where we started walking for a couple of hours through the tropical forest to the first village. On the way we stopped by a hot spring whilst it was raining cats and dogs-literally. That was amazing, unfortunately much too hot to bath in! The village we stayed in that night was rather small, only 7 families. After we all had a go at having a proper shower from a bucket filled with water and toilets any European would never get used to, we had a lovely evening chatting, playing games and eating the most amazing Thai food.

Thursday 1st July 2010

After a rather poor nights sleep - you wouldn't imagine how noisy the Jungle is plus the thought of thousands of poisonous snakes and spiders - we were all more less than more prepared for what was ahead of us. Five hours trek through the Forest, 90 Degrees up and down in regular intervals, literally. It had been raining a lot the previous night so most people couldn't keep their feet dry much longer than the first half an hour. This is where I really appreciated my amazing walking boots sponsored by DAD, no wet feet for me. I felt rather sorry for the Norwegian family who had Deck shoes but no one complained! We also had many companiens, Leeches appeared to really like the taste of us. Many hours later we arrived at the elephant camp, my favourite part of the trip. We had several hours watching them bath, rest and trying to eat our chocolate before we got on our ourselves. This was much more scary than anticipated as the paths we rode along were rather narrow and steep. I mean did you now and elephant can climb down a weir??? A short walk after the ride we arrived at the second village, this was much bigger where we even got our own room to sleep in. luxurious!!! 

Friday 2nd July 2010

Day 3 started with Continental breakfast (no rice or noodles-Yeah) and a short tour through the town. We then got on our rafts made out of bamboo where the women got to stand still and do nothing whilst the men had to get us safely to our destination-brilliant! We had to jump ship once when the rapids sqashed us between rocks and lost two of our man on two separate occasions - no one was injured! Much more fun than initially thought!!! After lunch we headed back to Chiang Mai. It was a great experience, thanks also to the lovely people in our group! We are now relaxing for a couple of days in Chiang Mai before we move on to Laos on Tuesday! 

Love you all!!!!!! 


Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Sambo on

Lovely pics! Don't really fancy the jungle bit and leeches myself but I know you would have coped with it better than me! xxx

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: