Last of Linz...?

Trip Start Jan 27, 2009
Trip End May 15, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Julius Raab Heim - Hotel Sommerhaus

Flag of Austria  , Upper Austria,
Monday, May 4, 2009

G'day all, and welcome to another exciting instalment of 'Noni Abroad'!
As a farewell gesture for the group at Linz, I held an 'Aussie night' where I cooked an Australian meal for whoever was free to come. Mainly because most of the people haven't been to Australia, so I should give them an incentive to come and I can see them again :P
In the morning, I made an attempt at Pavlova and Chocolate Crackles - the latter of which was the only successful one. The oven and I had an argument about what temperature it really was, and the Pavlova ended up flat and undercooked.
After this, I went into the Hauptbahnhof to meet Fiona and bring her back to the Raab Heim. While she was chilling out and doing her laundry, I had my last meeting with Peter before getting picked up by Linda to get some roo meat and the rest. It was a rather long trip by Linz standards, and I'm really glad Linda offered to drive!
After food collection, Linda dropped us off at the office to start preparations and she went home to rest up a bit. I prepared 5kg of potatoes by peeling them, chopping them, rubbing them in olive oil and lemon myrtle, and tossing them into a 170(ish?!) degree oven for about an hour after 10 minutes of microwaving.  I also got the damper going with some wattle seed, however it turned out a bit doughy - some people didn't mind and ate it anyway!!
There were 12 kangaroo steaks, so we rubbed them in olive oil and half of them were coated in 'bbq bush spice' (a bit hot) while the rest were done with olive oil, salt and pepper. They were fried on a med-high heat for a minute or two each side, and then tossed in the oven for 20 minutesish. We also prepared some chicken breast fillets (in case the roo wasn't popular) in a lemon myrtle-based spice mix.   There was also some normal rolls and a green salad with a balsamic dressing, and a very mild fruit punch. The evening started off with some Austrian beer, and developed into some Australian and French wines, and spiralled downwards with some Jagermeister... In any case, it was absolutely delicious and a roaring success! I had a really good time, and I think everyone else did too?
They also gave me a farewell gift, comprising of an Austrian cookbook and a book about Linz! I was truly touched, awwww :3
The next morning I was touched by hangover, but still went for breakfast in the raab mensa with a few others, and said goodbye. If it weren't for the fact I would be back in a week's time, I might have got sad! But, we decided to go out again on the 8th, so Fiona and I trundled off to prepare for the first leg of my holiday.
Due to Fiona's illness and my self-inflicted illness, preparations for leaving took a while - but we made it to the train station before noon and got on a train out of Linz. Of course, we got on the train at the wrong end and had to change at Vienna, but it wasn't a big ordeal.
Finding an atm to withdraw cash and the hostel wasn't a big deal, and we were pleasantly surprised by the Australian guy who ran the hostel sitting down with us to tell us all the good hangouts and sights to see. Before it got too late, we went out to collect our internet-ordered Budapest Cards and ate some Hungarian food (Lasagne, haha) and wandered around a lot before having an early night.
So that's it for now, and thanks for joining us here at 'Noni Abroad' today :P
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: