Trip Start May 20, 2010
195Trip End Sep 05, 2011
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
OK folks…apologies for the delay in this blog but we have seriously struggled to get internet. So this is the blog that I wrote when we arrived on Raro several days ago, I thought I'd upload it anyway…..I will upload another as soon as I’m able
Day : 217
Temperature : Fabulous 30 degrees
Weather : Patchy clouds with rainy spells
The time travellers have arrived! Today is the 17th of December, as was yesterday…pretty cool that we actually gain an extra day
Before I move on to The Cook Islands, let me give a summary of New Zealand. If you have been reading our blog you will know that we thing NZ is fab. For those who enjoy the outdoors and nature then this is the place to come. We thought we’d comprise a wee list of what we loved and loathed about New Zealand.
1. Lovely summer time climate…like the UK on a really, really good day
2. Incredible scenery…snow capped mountains, rolling hills, deep valleys filled with wild flowers, turquoise rivers, windswept beaches with pounding waves and tranquil beaches with calm waters and powder white sands, forests with ancient monster trees, endless sand dunes as far as the eye can see, volcanoes, geysers, hot springs, and mud pools…..what else do you need?
3. Friendly people…everywhere you go people are happy to chat to you
4. Wildlife, wildlife, wildlife….whales, dolphins, fur seals, sea lions, sea birds, parrots..the list goes on.
5. Activities…not that we did all these, but from zorbing to skydiving, from heli ski-ing to swimming with seals….there are endless activities
6. Quiet roads, quiet beaches, quiet walking tracks…in general, the lack of people…how anti-social we are!!
2. The price of magazines…£3.99 in the UK, £9.99 over here!!!
3. Lack of road signs…one minute there is a sign for Auckland saying straight ahead, and at the next junction where 3 roads meet..zilch
So I was really having to dig deep there to find something that we didn’t like, and for that reason we were really quite sad to leave New Zealand, especially since we didn’t get to see Auckland because we were both sick. Thankfully that seems to have cleared up now , so all is well.
Our flight to Rarotonga, or Raro for short, was delayed by nearly three hours, but when we finally arrived in The Cook Islands a car was still waiting for us to take us to our hostel. We finally crashed into bed just before 3am, and then a flippin’ cockerel started crowing right outside our window at 3.30am….I thought for a sec that I was back in Indonesia!!
We haven’t really done much at all today….I expect that will be the story for the next 10 days. We are hoping to learn "un poco de Espanol” as we will surely need it for our South America adventures in a couple of weeks. Kev has got a Rosetta Stone computer programme so he’s often found sitting with the laptop practicing away….We have bought a LP book which we are trailing through right now, but if anyone out there has any "must sees” for S
Tomorrow we are hiring a motorbike so we can scoot around the island. But first Kevin has to sit a driving test!! Can you believe it?! Ha! Then he has to go to the police station and buy a drivers licence. Apparently you don’t need a helmet if you drive 40kph, but if you drive any faster then by law you must have a helmet!
So that’s all for now, we will update the blog again with some piccies of beautiful Rarotonga and I will try to get some very serious photos of Kevin sitting his driving test tomorrow so stay tuned.
PS HAPPY BIRTHDAY ESTHER!!!!