Ko Chang and Surin

Trip Start May 20, 2010
Trip End Sep 05, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Antony's house

Flag of Thailand  , Surin,
Friday, August 6, 2010


Day : 81
Temperature : 35 degrees
Weather : Humid, overcast with sunny intervals

As a result of intermittent power cuts, travelling, and no internet connection, it has been over a week since our last blog…the longest break in our blogs of our travels so far so I really feel like I've been slacking!!
Our last few days in Ko Chang were spent on the beach relaxing thanks to the slight relief in the rain, but they were not entirely uneventful. Sadly two tourists drowned whilst swimming as a consequence of the fierce rip tides which occur in the monsoon season, despite there being warning signs everywhere. On our last day on the island a dead body was found floating in the sea…suspected to be a Cambodian fisherman who had been murdered and tossed overboard and had been left in the water for several days until he was found. Unlike in the UK, the decomposing body was left in the sun, creating quite a smell, for everyone to see before it was moved onto a stretcher and taken away right in front of all the tourists. The "police" then jumped aboard a RIB, and armed with rifles sped off out to sea to question some fishermen on other boats.
We left Ko Chang in torrential rain, crossed on the ferry to the mainland and boarded the bus for the 5 hour journey to Bangkok. All was well until we hit the infamous Bangkok traffic at which point we ground to a standstill and by the time we arrived at Bangkok train station we’d been on the road for 7 hours! We dropped a group of tourists off at the train station but after 40 minutes of crawling through some back streets, turning this way and that, we then passed the train station again…!! It was clear the driver was totally lost. After 8 hours on the bus we we all tired and hungry and so we persuaded the driver to open the doors and let the remaining passengers off the bus….in the middle of no where!! Kevin and I jumped into a tuk-tuk and made our way (past the train station for a third time!) to our hotel. We decided to treat ourselves to a nice hotel with fluffly white towels, plasma tv, clean bathroom, and nice soft bed….luxury! Unfortunately it cost 4 to use the internet for 20 mins and a cup of tea was 2 so we got completely ripped off on all the extras!
The following day we boarded our overnight train to Surin. We left Bangkok at 8.30am and were due to arrive at 4.30am! I managed to sleep fairly well, but poor Kevin was about a foot too tall for the bed and so he barely slept at all. For some unknown reason the train was delayed by two hours, but we didn’t realise this until 4.45am when we found somebody who spoke English and managed to explain to us what was going on. It was too late for Antony however, who had gotten out of bed at 4am and driven to the station to wait for us!!! We decided it was best for Antony to go home and wait until we arrived, at which point we’d call him. No sooner had he reached home and we arrived at the station, so he had to make his way back again to collect us! 
Amazingly enough the weather has been great in Surin!! No rain for three whole days!! It’s been great to catch up with everyone and we’ve spent the past couple of days taking the girls swimming, eating absurd amounts of ice-cream, drinking lots of Baileys (or Singha beer in Kevin and Antony’s case) and seeing the sights of Surin and the surrounding villages! We’ve also managed to get all our laundry done!!! And it even smells clean which is great! Yesterday evening the ice-cream van came by the village and we bought ice-creams for half a dozen of the village children...however, word spreads fast over here, and within minutes we were surrounding by 20-25 kids all eager for free ice-cream! The ice-creams were only 5 Baht each, so it was fine to spend a couple of UK pounds...somehow I think the ice-cream seller may be back tonight though as he definitely thought he was onto a good thing!!

Tomorrow we head back to Bangkok on the day train for a couple of days before we leave Thailand ready for the next adventure.

Post your own travel photos for friends and family More Pictures

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Eileen on

Awhhhhh...... sooo missing you all .... lovely to see the photos with the girls......

call me when you can xx

nomadic-brands on

we are missing you all too!

when are you coming out to visit??!!

will call you soon


yattonkey3 on

all fine here although new owner of saab is having trouble getting spares from sweden. not blaming us! Latest blog making everybody jealous as it is showing signs of summer ending here. we have just come back from a weekend in wales - very nice. dont forget to Skype

Take care
Dad and Melo

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: