One Last Stop

Trip Start Apr 23, 2009
Trip End Jun 23, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Greece  , Attica,
Saturday, June 20, 2009


A quick bus ride from Delphi brought us to Athens where we had to catch a tram to the Metro link. Construction had closed the Metro station we had intended to use. When we surfaced at the 'Acropolis' station, we were surprised to see at least twenty police officers milling about in small groups of two or three. Around the corner were even more security officers. Soon, we realized that the station was in the immediate area of the new Acropolis Museum scheduled for opening the next day. Television crews with cameras on long booms, organizers, and VIPs were scattered around the plaza in front of the museum, so, clearly, something was going on.

We had hoped to get tickets to see the museum; however, our hotel owner said she thought all the free tickets for the following three days had been taken (you had to print them from your computer). After that, the tickets are only 1 Euro until September, so it will be a bargain. I guess we will just have to arrange another trip, where we fly into Athens for the day to catch the displays before heading off on our holiday!

Because we had spent time in Athens in 2005, we decided to have a leisurely last couple of days before flying home. We did manage to see a few things we had missed, previously. One was the old Turkish Bath, which is now a delightful, little museum, another was the Folk Art Museum, and the last was the changing of the guards at the Parliament Buildings.  We also spent some time walking through the shady National Gardens where there is a remnant of a mosaic floor from a former Roman palace. Of course, there was the usual prowling through the Plaka area in search of the last couple of souveniers, too!

If you wish to see photos from our 2005 trip to Athens, click on this link:

Our flight home wasn't until 6 AM, so we paid an extra 30 Euro to keep our hotel room till the evening. That allowed us to come and go all day and have a shower after our late supper before checking out. It was a bit of a grind to get back to Canada. We caught the bus for the half-hour direct trip to the airport where we hung around listening to terrible Muzak for seven hours. Our only entertainment was three incidents where Greek people were yelling at the counter clerks or security staff!

Then we had two and a half hours to Frankfurt, a one-hour transition between planes, nine hours, two meals and two movies on great Lufthansa Airlines to Calgary, and a forty-five minute wait to clear customs. We only slept about an hour on the plane and stayed awake to visit with the Bortolins till their bedtime! Surprisingly, we zombies woke up at 6 AM the next day, ready for the three and a half hour bus to Edmonton. Nice to be back in our own beds, but a challenge to get back to cooking after two months of restaurant fair!

We are already talking about plans for the next trip! Thanks for tagging along on
this one!
Gail and David

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: