Our little 'James Earl Jones'

Trip Start Sep 16, 2011
Trip End Nov 20, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Thursday, February 2, 2012

Elwood wakes before 5am. He stays in bed but he calls out for mummy.  I go in, make him, move him to one side, and get in the toddler car bed with him.  It is a squash for Woody in it these days.  I had to actually fold myself in half to get in.  Because I am an optimist, and a bit deluded, I thought Woody might go back to sleep.  He gets up, sits in his chair, and decides he will read to me.  He chooses The Lion King.  He cannot read, but we have read The Lion King a lot, and we have it in audio book so we listen to a slightly different version on in the car.  The version we have in the car is read by James Earl Jones and he does a little intro to the story at the start.  So, when Elwood starts 'reading' to me, he is actually reciting the audio book intro in a bit of a ‘James Earl Jones’ voice.  This is so, so wonderful that I smile my head off, despite the early hour.  

We get up and I make myself a cup of tea without actually being awake.  We are too early for kids TV so we watch 4WD TV.  I learn about tire pressures gauges and a jack that can be used a winch. Elwood seems to be taking it in.

We Skype the mothership as we are still super excited about having so much chocolate in the house.  Elwood thanks grandma and offers to send her liquorice in return.   A good deal all round.  We see the girls and Seb and Woody is a very happy fellow.  Jayden has a gorgeous new haircut and it was good to see her swish it around first hand.

It is not yet 6.30am.  Man alive, it is going to be a long day.

We eat some brekkie, have a relaxed morning, and leave for preschool on time, without any stress or curse words.  We are normally running late.  This running-on time-thing is a revelation to me.  And something I might like to try again. 

I have a terrific moment driving to preschool where it dawns on me - we have done it.  We have done what we have been working towards and dreamed about for years.  We do have that little niggle of gaining full time employment – but other than that – we are pretty much there.  It feels really good.

I drop Woody at preschool and his teacher is just fabulous.  She has brought a soft lion toy into the room especially for Woody and has chosen a lion book to read at story time because she knows he likes lions.  I am really touched by this as she has lots of kids to care for and to take the time to make Woody feel special is such a lovely thing to do and something we really appreciate

Woody has show and tell today and he is pretty hyped about it.  He has taken in his ukulele and lots of photos of him in Hawaii and with his ukulele.

I quickly pop to the shops to pick up some bits for Noah’s birthday.  I head back and Noah is getting ready for a meeting and trying to tame his facial hair.  Judging by the damp tissue I have to pick out of the remnants of his beard, it did not go terribly well.  We have the usual conversation we have -where Noah suggests wearing flip-flops/thongs to the meeting, and I reply by scowling darkly.  That marks the end of that conversation.

I pick the last of the tissue off Noah’s face and he is ready to go.  I am a supportive wife, so I wish Noah good luck and remind him not to tell any jokes.  What I really should have done is told him not to talk about ants.  Noah is obsessed with ants at the moment and there is no pleasing him.  He worries about why we have so many ants and is constantly spraying all around the outside of the house, doorways and the roof.  And then when we don’t have ants, he worries about where they have gone to?  Sheesh...

So, with Noah at his meeting I switch on my audio book ‘A town like Alice’ and get some things ready for Noah’s birthday and for Woody to do some craft this afternoon.  My book is fantastic.  I am engrossed in it.

Noah is back for lunch.  We chat briefly about the work lined up for next week and then he cracks on with some freelance work.  I continue to listen to my book, and did a bit of work and then prepare a bit of cooking for when Woody gets home

Next I head out to get Woody.  His show and tell went really well.  The teacher said he spoke in detail about every photo and he made sure the teacher’s tuned his ukulele before he played it.  The teacher showed me photos and it was amazing.  All the kids were sitting down and Woody stood out the front holding up his ukulele and then his photos.  He looked like he was really enjoying it. 

He shows me excitedly what he has done today and then we head home.  It is hotter than the sun and Woody looks shattered, so he sits and snacks through what is left in his lunchbox. 

Next Woody and I do some cooking for Noah’s birthday and then do a couple of little craft projects.  Woody really concentrated and seemed to be enjoying himself. We then made pizza bases which Woody was great at.  He kneaded the dough and rolled it out.  We set it aside to rise again, and Woody made his own pizza with great care and pride.

Woody has a bath whilst the pizzas are cooking, and is delighted when he sees how brilliant his pizza has turned out.  Woody enjoys his pizza and pretends he is in scene from Toy Story.  He dozes off after dinner.  I watch The Biggest Loser because I am addicted. 

Then I chat to the lovely Dan for ages about life in oz, the goings on back in blighty and the joy of having a child.  We make plans to see each other on Saturday.  We are super excited about catching up – It has been 2 years (and 1 child) since we have seen each other.  We have sought Dan’s advice on appropriate office attire in Australia for a gentleman, such as Noah, wanting to make a good impression at the office.  Those who know Dan, will not be surprised to know there has been talk of cravats, spats, brogues, plimsolls and of course, the dress short.  Dan has offered to take Noah on a shopping trip whilst he is in town in exchange for some Stella.  There are so many ways for that to go horribly wrong.  I can’t wait.

And that’s it really.  I am blogging and listening to my book.  Noah is working, allegedly.   I keep hearing him cracking up laughing.  He is listening to a radio program – I am guessing it is a comedy.

And that is it.  A happy and productive day in this neck of the woods.  Good night, good people. 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


michael leigh on

Lovely photos. hey - have a happy birdbath tomorrow ( probably that now in OZ?) Noah! All the best, from HAM xxx

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: