The geek shall inherit the earth

Trip Start Sep 16, 2011
Trip End Nov 20, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Tuesday, January 3, 2012

This morning we need to get cracking straight away as we are expecting a geek at 8am. We ordered one the other day.  There is a company called Geeks to you, you ring them, and they send a Geek to you.  It is as simple as that.

So, our Geek arrived at 8am, I recognised him as he has Geek embroidered on his shirt.  He came and sat at our dining table and he fixed stuff that we could not fix ourselves.  Very good.  He also said a lot of things that we either did not understand or have that much interest in, but that just confirmed his superior geek status.  He fixed the wireless on my computer and fixed the webcam.  Good man.  I am not sure what else he did, he did explain but I glazed over, but now I am back on my computer it is working like a dream.  Super quick – I can barely keep up!  Even the trapped food in the keyboard cannot slow it down.  Result. 

Buoyed with our early morning geek-based success – we head off to the Department of Transport to get QLD licences.  We are armed with much paperwork; we get in line, take a number, and wait.  Elwood pretends he is in a fire station, urgently running to get a fax, put his hat on and slide down a pole.  Many people looked on quite confused.  But we leave him to it, because as long as he is not 'kicking off' we don’t really mind.

We get called separately to our kiosks, and as if by magic, Elwood starts kicking off.  I cannot believe it – he has been brilliant all morning.  He has the kind of melt down that cannot be postponed by distracting him with snacks.  Grrrrrrr.  Somehow, I stay calm and even managed a (fake) smile (through gritted teeth) when someone said, ‘wow, he’s quite a handful’.  Many thanks for sharing your observations – it helped a lot. Grrrrrrr, some more.

They finished our licences quickly and we get Woody in the car, where we scowl quite a lot in the direction of the rather remorseful looking lad on the back seat.

We get home and Woody plays in his room happily, like a completely different to the child to the one in the Dept of Transport.  I do not understand 3 year olds.   Nonetheless, he is super happy, apologised beautifully, and continue to be a super dooper little boy, that’s better.

Noah and I get some jobs done: update blog, I get some details of some local activities, and then completely despair at trying to set up our rent on direct debit with a company which I am starting to believe was set up purely just to try my patience.  After many phone calls by Noah and I, and many failed attempts, over several days, it turns out I was missing two digits off the BSB number.   I am not sure how I do this, but somehow I turn this around in my head, that this is the websites fault.

With all this faffing about we are behind on our to do list, so Noah and I discuss what to do about this.  We decide to go to the beach, the fresh air will do us good.

It does.  We have a fab time at the beach and Woody is super happy doing his thing with the Tonka truck.  Noah and I chat and just soak up the view, the fresh air and the atmosphere.  Brilliant.

We head home; Woody has a quick shower whist I make dinner.  Then Woody and I whip up the chocolate biccies we meant to cook 2 days ago.  I love cooking with Woody.  He just wants to taste stuff, whatever I put in a bowl and no matter what he tastes he says he likes.  ‘mmmm, flour’ he says, ‘I like flour’.  I suggest it might be a little dry, but Woody won’t hear it.

He eats his dinner enthusiastically, and then eats a chocolate biscuit with pride.

Off to sleep in a heartbeat, I am meant to crack on with jobs from the list but I skype the mothership instead.  I wander around looking for snacks for a bit, and then get on with the blog.  Okay – it feels good to get crack on with something.

Powered by Mini M & M's that were hiding in the cupboard, i then wade through websites / pamphlets and find some super activities for Woody and I to get involved with locally.  This may not seem like a bit job, but there are mountains and mountains of stuff to look through and look up.  We are spoilt for choice. And with that, we are a tiny bit closer to getting a routine and meeting people.

And with my very last ounce of energy, I plan meals for the next 10 days and write a shopping list.  And that is me spent.  I am going to go to the bed with the knowledge that Woody will probably be up in 5 hours wanting to play fire engines.

Meanwhile Noah as been both working and looking for work.  He looks as shattered as I feel.

Goodnight, from a very productive but tired family in southport.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: