Loving the ‘Lucky Country'
Trip Start Sep 16, 2011
290Trip End Nov 20, 2011
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Things have been pretty full on since we have arrived on the 20th Nov, I will offer a brief summary:
- First Sunday 20th in the country is dedicated to cold beers and reacquainting myself with some of my favourite, long lost snack foods. Good times.
- Monday 21st – sort car insurance, RACQ, buy Woody car seat, mobile phones for us and SAT NAV – winners. Woody has a behemoth meltdown – not winners. We look at houses online, leaving messages for real estate agents who should not even bother to have contact details if they are not going to answer their phones, or return calls
- Tuesday 22nd was just one of those blah days. I think jet lag / tiredness / malnutrition finally caught up with us. We drove around, made phone calls, ate snack foods and achieved nothing. Now we are the losers.
- Wednesday 23rd –we view a house we love, a preschool we love, both in the area we love (High five!). The preschool holds a place and we frantically submit our rental application. We sort out bank accounts whilst we are on a roll.
- Thursday 24th we promise Woody a day at home so we muck about in the garden, and do other exciting things like get Tax File Numbers and Medicare numbers and wait for the real estate agents to get back to us. They don't.
- Friday 25th we call Real Estate agents and turns out no one is going to look at our application until Monday as the property manager is off sick
- Saturday 26th- Woody and Noah go for a swim and I attend a cocktail / Tupperware party. I enjoy good company, sip rocket fuel, and write down codes on a piece of paper nonchalantly which means I will have to pay money next week when I collect my holy grail of storage containers. Then, the day takes a turn for the worse, when my niece Skye (Justin and Jennie’s littlest) is admitted to hospital with a fever and a very swollen knee. Worried sick.
- Sunday 27th – Skye has an emergency operation to take down the swelling in her knee. She has tests and is in isolation and we are all super worried. She is on a drip of antibiotics and her temp starts to go down but her illness remains a mystery.
- Monday 28th- We look at some more areas and some more preschools, in case plan A is not a winner. We stalk the real estate agent who has got some crazy facial bruising from the removal of wisdom teeth. He also has a moustache that does not match his face. It is all proving very distracting, and I try not and behave like someone he should not rent a house to. We keep him on his toes by sending him a selection of emails without attachments and wrongly scanned and labelled docs. We are making an impression, of sorts. We visit Jennie and Skye in hospital and take Jennie PJ’s as Justin has forgotten these and Jennie views something to sleep in as somewhat essential in hospital. She is funny like that.
- Tuesday 29th- Good news, Skye is on the mend
- Wednesday 30th – At last, some news on the house. We have got the house. And like a flash I confirm preschool and swimming lessons. This is good. We go and see Jennie and Skye. Skye is on the mend and looking at having her drip removed in the next day or two. Jennie and I head over the road for some sustenance. Then Noah, Woody and I razz down the coast, throw lots of money at the real estate agents and practically leap the counter to sign the papers. Noah also order some new glasses – after much discussion he has finally agreed that black electrical tape holding his glasses together might not create the right impression at a job interview.
- Thursday 1st – this is a busy one. Contents Insurance, Internet, Electricity, home phone – Bam! – Just like that. We then go to Riverlink and do important things like buy Woody PJ’s and return Noah’s ill fitting shorts. We see Jennie and Skye and get the fab news that they are released tomorrow. We are all over the moon.
- Friday 2nd is the best day ever as Skye and Jennie get out of hospital
- Saturday 3rd is Justin’s Birthday. He is the happiest person ever having Jen and Skye back home. So happy in fact, he is awake from 3.30am. He finally wakes us at 5.30am and a very startled Elwood thinks it is his birthday. He is disappointed and I guess not unfairly, a little confused shy Justin woke him so early. I sort through a load of stuff that has been in storage at Justin’s and Jennie manages to get Justin to hang the Christmas lights in between birthday beers. Saturday night is the social club Christmas party. Noah and I go for a bit, and then take the kids home so Justin and Jennie can have a well earned break from what has been a mega stressful week with little Skye.
- Sunday 4th Noah and I pay a visit to the Hilliers – long time family friends. I catch up with Leonie, my oldest and dearest friend (from, I believe, grade 2 - eek), her lovely sisters Mel, Temony and Jasmine and lots of other lovely people. Fabulous food, with terrific people, in a gorgeous spot. Happy, happy times.
- Monday 5th
- Tuesday 6th. Today. Crazy Clarks for bargain household supplies, groceries, key cutting, boring admin for me, and seaside fun for the fellas.
We feel very, very lucky to have found such a fab house, in brilliant location and that our family gets to call this amazing place home. Our little boy is already thriving in the sunshine and the great outdoors. Admittedly, we are currently unemployed, but for now, it is rose coloured glasses all the way.
Goodnight and much love from Southport, on the Gold Coast (yeee- haa!). And, go the Sharks!
P.S my brother had the biggest boil I have ever seen on his elbow. Custard will not be eaten in this house for a very, very long time.
P.P.S - Photos to follow and sorry we are a day late! bx