Welcome to Fabulous Brisneyland

Trip Start Sep 16, 2011
Trip End Nov 20, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Justin and Jennie's House of Fun

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Sunday, November 20, 2011

Strangely, today's blog (Sunday) starts on Friday in Waikiki. Already, a lifetime ago... (Big sigh)

So, Friday we wake up and arrange a late checkout. Winners.  Noah does a few bits and I attempt to pack, but Woody seems to be able to unpack faster than I can pack.  Thwarted.  We give up on doing anything sensible for now, and hit the pool for one last swim in Hawaii. (Melancholy)

We get back to the room and pack in earnest.  By some miracle, we get it all done, without too much drama. 

Next stop Waikiki shopping and lunch.  We buy a couple of little gifts and then head for a late lunch- as there are not guarantees of what we will eat on the plane.  We fill our boots, browse a little more in the shops, manage to briefly lose each other for a bit, and then we are on our way to the airport.

The airport is relatively painless.  I small hiccup where Woody did not have a Visa, but then I realised I was using the wrong passport.  Phew.  I do not need that kind of stress.  We have to wait around quite a while in Hawaii but the times seems to go fairly quickly, and Woody falls asleep before we are even on the flight.  The second small hiccup is when a sleeping Woody gets a thwack in the head from an automatic door that his careless mother is holding is head in front off.  Whoops. But Woody does not wake up and sleeps almost the whole 9.5 hour flight, and only wakes just before breakfast.  It is a restless sleep for Woody and as he insists on sleeping on me - it not the greatest sleep for me.  But, I am not one to complain... (Ha!)  Woody wakes in the most fabulous mood ever.

So we have about a 3 hour wait in Auckland.  Now, changing flights with a little one can be a challenge.  Woody can’t get his head around that we have been on a plane for hours, landed and we are still not there.  We drink a lot of coffee during our wait, and we let Woody muck around in a strange circular pod shaped chair.  The stop is mostly with a few erratic moments from the Woodster, just to keep things interesting.

We board the next flight and we are not looking forward to it.  We have had 1 good flight today – could the god of flying with a 3 year old smile down on us twice in one day?  Yes, he sure can!  Yippee.  Another stress free flight.  The only thing is I was dying to watch Hangover II but Woody wanted to sit on my lap and watch the Wiggles.  So, I watch Antony Wiggle grin like a maniac and gyrate inappropriately with a heavy 3 year old on my lap whilst my good husband sat a seat away, by a window, watching my movie, and sipping hot coffee.  Bitter?  Me?  Never...

I finish filling in the customs declaration forms and tick the box which says no return date / migrating.  My stomach lurches.  As the pilot announces that we are beginning our descent, Noah and I both feel like we are going to be sick.  We are not travel sick type folks – but the enormity that we do not live in the UK anymore and that we live in Australia hits us in one swoop.  We obviously new this moment was coming, but it still quite literally takes our breath away.

So we make it through out final flight, and I am ready to give myself a big pat on the back when Woody has a meltdown.  It is like he cannot stand in one more queue, he has had it.  He throws himself on the floor and cries.  When this does not cause the reaction he had hoped for, he starts running around immigration like a wild horse which has been in captivity, then is fed a load of sugar cubes and then breaks free.  Are you with me on this?  Suffice to say, it was pretty full on.  Noah was in another queue, for British passport folk, and I was sweating like a crazy and chasing after the wild one.  This is not good as we ran out of deodorant Friday morning.  So, we decide to abandon the queue and go sit down on the floor out of the way, and wait for the storm to pass.  As it turns out, the storm passed in a heartbeat, and then we joined the queue in an orderly fashion and it was like the whole meltdown didn’t happen.    We get to immigration and explain our story of London, of marriage, of spousal visa – and simple as that we are in.  We now officially live in Australia.  We cannot believe it and grin like the crazy people (we potentially are).  We are quite simply, over the moon.

Jennie and Skye meet us at the airport.  Woody starts chatting straight away. He cannot believe we have another journey, in the car to Justin’s, and pretty much starts saying 'are we there yet?’ – The second he gets in the car. 

When we get to Justin’s Woody is super super happy.  He gets his kit off straight away and starts jumping on the trampoline with the hose running on it.  Elwood is very impressed with this set up.  Elwood is also very, very impressed with Uncle Justin (too impressed if you ask me?) He follows him around asking him questions and telling him things – anything he can think of just to keep the chit chat going.  He looks super happy.

We drink in the garden all afternoon whilst the kids play and argue over cars, bikes, scooters, chairs and a stack hat.  We sit on the outdoor table made by the fair hands of my brother.  We are very very impressed and secretly wish for one, one day.  In some gross error of judgement I decide to weigh myself and after 9 weeks of waffle eating I have amassed an additional 13.5lbs! (Holy cow!) I am not feeling too special.  Roll on post holiday detox.  Tomorrow..... For tonight we get a takeaway, and struggle to keep the little tigers awake.  We eat a delicious meal but we are all fading fast.  Woody is the first to run out of batteries.  Who can blame him?  What a day?

So now.  We rest.  It is Sunday after all...

And so, one adventure ends and another adventure begins....

Thank you fine friends and family for being our companions on this journey of a lifetime.  Thank you for reading our nonsense, for your support, and for your words of encouragement.   We feel lucky to be here in OZ, to have been on this journey, and to have fabulous friends and family in both hemispheres.

Goodnight from Down Under.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Uncle Josh on

Congratulations weary travellers and thanks for the ride... Best of luck in your new life from those of us stuck here in Marmite-land. To Vegemite and beyond!

michael Leigh on

Fair dinkum! Can't believe your blog has ended. The adventure continues ! Let us know if you start another blog- we have got used to reading about all your daily doings! Good luck for the future!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: