Diver Diver I'm a Rescue Diver!

Trip Start Apr 14, 1992
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Philippines  , Central Visayas,
Saturday, June 2, 2012

The three day rescue course was probably one of the coolest experiences I've had related to diving. Once you finish this course your perspective on diving changes completely; you're no longer looking out for yourself underwater, but looking for any issues in any other diver in your range of view. The rescue course was a lot of work, there's no doubt about that. You always had to be as alert as ever at any point in the course. Even when you thought your practice scenarios weren't started on the boat ride over to the location, someone would just happen to just fall of the back of the boat halfway there and you better be able to react quickly to it.  

The fact that a typhoon is in the process of coming and hitting the island didn't make the course much easier, with high winds and huge, choppy waves, rescuing and towing someone back to shore or the boat while trying to give rescue breaths wasn't really the easiest thing. I felt bad for the person who had to act dead while I was doing all the practice on them because the waves were massive and kept splashing on their face, and since they're not really dead they kept breathing water up their nose. Another difficult bit about the rescue course was the third day. The third day is spent just doing the final scenarios which head out at 10am. The thing is is that the night before that, all the instructor students passed their final exams and we threw them a massive party. Everyone was invited and lets just say it was not an early night, even though everyone that was involved in my rescue course knew we had to get up early. The instant we all saw each other the next morning you could just tell no one wanted to be there. It also didn't help that the waves were the biggest that day compared to the previous two. This was the closest to being sea sick I've ever been, and you could just tell that everyone wanted to get out of there as soon as possible, so I made sure to save my victim pretty quick. And just like that I passed the rescue diver course!

A few other things I'm getting used too on the island at this point is having no hot water for my showers, and such low water pressure that I've resulted to taking buckets instead of showers. So literally I'm just dumping buckets of cold water over me for my showers.... Also I still have to get used to the fact that my mattress is about 3 inches thick, and every way I turn I can feel a wooden support digging into my body....other than that everything else is golden.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


fritzluz on

I remember in my advanced class that the guy with the worst job was the assistant instructor who had to go out at night, sit in the bottom, turn off his flashlight and wait until he was rescued by students and to have the rescue just go bad with complete mayhem and some people running out of air. It sucks to be the victim in any of these scenarios

MOM on

Congrats Nico! I am so proud of you and never doubted you could do this as you seem to be very motivated. As for roughing it, yeah, just a bit worse than Coral Beach where there was no hot water and we also used buckets, such is very common life in the Philippines amongst most of the population! You tend to over look all of these minor inconveniences when you are truly enjoying what you are doing! Looking forward to your next entry when hopefully you will be seeking Threshers! Love to you - MOM

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: