The New Year

Trip Start Dec 28, 2004
Trip End Jan 11, 2005

Loading Map
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Costa Rica  ,
Sunday, January 2, 2005

Visit Klenske, Ink.

Last Night...

Was one of those nights. You know, the one's that you can't really explain, that usually involve lots of beer and little sleep, and occur in foreign places and with a bunch of strangers, people without names, only personalities. It was one of those nights that you look for when one travels.

After dinner with our friends from st. louis, denmark and france, we played some pool and drank some beers. One of the little ticos from the lodge, who I belive was 9 years old joined in on kara's team and carried it to victory. The 86 year old man wasn't a bad shot either.

It's amazing how well people can communicate with each other when you can't speak each other's languages. We were called over to a group of americans/costa ricans to sing songs while they played the guitars. We covered them all, spanish, mexican, rock and roll, and even an accoustic version of the outkasts' 'hey yea'. At midnight we broke out the wine and fireworks and toasted the new year and then watched the ticos and ticas dance.

But that was last night....

I guess they say that what goes up must come down, and if last night was an upper, today was a downer (kind of like mixing beer and coffee).

Kara and I have decided that we will no longer travel from one place to another on new years day. Instead we will stay in our hotel room or wherever we may be, curled up in the corner in a fetal posistion, waiting desperatly for the 2nd to arrive.

Last year we started the new year with a bang, or a crash, and a trip to the Irish police station. This year we were left in the middle of nowhere for six hours. It seems the bust that was to pick us up from the canal port broke down on it's way from san jose. We had a 4pm bus to catch in san jose to go to monteverde tonight. We waited and waited in the hot sun. And then waited and waited some more. After nearly three hours, a guide came and said the bus would be there in no more than an hour. He then said 'adios', jumped on a boat and left. Left us waiting, and waiting and waiting. There were no telephones, and none of the locals spoke english, so we really had no idea how we were going to leave. But alas the bus showed up, 6 hours later, and took us on our way. Unfortunatley, it was past 4pm before we left, so needless to say we missed our connection. But the tour company booked us a hotel in san jose, took care of the costs for the hotel that we had booked in monteverde, and arranged for transportation for us to monteverde in the morning. So, back on schedule manana. And since it is no longer the jan. 1st, we should be ok. But until then, I think we'll just stay in our rooms and watch spanish MTV.

But I guess, just as 'one of those nights' writes the stories and memories of one's travels, so does "one of those days'.

And by the way, 'how 'bout them hawkeyes!'

(we'll post pictures as soon as we get to a high speed internet cafe)

How to be a travel writer at Klenske, Ink.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: