Shopping in NYC

Trip Start Dec 04, 2008
Trip End Dec 06, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of United States  , New York
Saturday, December 6, 2008

If Keith's wake-up call at 6:30 hadn't awoken me, the hammering at the construction site next door would have.  Keith left to get to the Westin in time for the morning conference and I got ready to go shopping. Keith's doctor ended up not coming because his wife was sick, so he was free to skip the classes and do whatever he pleased. So, we started our shopping together.

I got a blueberry scone and eggnog latte from Starbucks ( thumbs up on the scone, but the latte was only so-so) and we walked in the chilly temperatures to Grand Central Station. We weren't there to catch a train, but to shop, specifically to go to Penzey's and get peppercorns and parsley. While we were there, I decided to be a tourist and take a few pictures of the main concourse area.

After Penzey's, we walked down 5th Avenue to Lord and Taylor. We looked at the window display for this year. I took a picture, but it didn't come out all that well, so I linked last year's pictures so you'll have an idea of what they are like. We browsed there, but didn't buy anything. We parted company at this point. Keith was headed to the Diamond District to get my Christmas present ( jewelry! what a surprise!) and I was headed the opposite direction to Macy's. I spent a lot of time in their Holiday shop, as they were having an incredible sale. I bought 2 boxes of Christmas cards (half off) and a gift for a friend. (I can't say what or who because she reads this blog.) Keith called me while I was still there and said he had great success, he was done and was going back to the Westin for the lunch St. Jude was providing. I finished at Macy's and walked back to the hotel ( 10 blocks, so a mile) and then met Keith over at the Westin for a latish lunch. I only had some salad.

The jeweler was doing something to  my gift (don't know what and I didn't ask) so Keith had to go pick it up. I went into Barnes and Noble while he did that and then we then walked over to Rockefeller Center and saw the tree. We window shopped and walked back to Times Square and went back to the M&M store where I purchased a couple of things for some kids I know.  We went back to the hotel to rest up before the evening's activities.

We had dinner at a seafood Italian place near the Westin. It was good, but not as good as the French restaurant of the night before. We then walked over to the New Amersterdam Theater. Because Keith's doctor has to cancel, we had 5 seats to chose from, which ended up being a good thing, as I had a young girl behind me who liked to kick the back of my seat and make noise by unwrapping some food item during the show. I changed seats at Intermission.

We saw Mary Poppins. It was very well done and was changed enough from the movie that you didn't feel as though you were watching a stage version of the movie. There were some great parts --Bert literally dancing on the ceiling, Mary Poppins flying out over the audience at the end and the whole Supercalifragilistixespialiocious song. (That isn't a typo --that is the way they spelled in the play) I would highly recommend it for anyone going to NYC.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: