City in the North

Trip Start Dec 15, 2006
Trip End Dec 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Thailand  ,
Sunday, August 12, 2007

I was suprisingly refreshed when we arrived in Chiang Mai. Normally overnight buses for my are awful experiences with no sleep and a sore back but for some reason this one was different. I slept most of the way and was alright to go when we arrived in Chiang Mai. A popular scam, we were taken from the bus to a guesthouse in Chiang Mai and they tried to sell us tours, treks and accommodation. None of that for me and I was on my way with a south African guy named Steve to find Julie's Guesthouse. Took us a while with the crap maps we had but eventually we were there.

Julie's was fantastic. The common area had a great cafe and the staff were very helpful. Steve and I booked a room together to save on some cash. Delux with our own bathroom and everything. I was out and about shortly after that, Steve crashed as he hadn't slept on the bus. I walked around the old city. It was truly beautiful. A definate relief after Bangkok and temple land. Grabbed some great lunch. I think my favourite food might be Indian. Its strange coming to Thailand and discovering that... Singapore helped too. Back to the hostel and I decided to have a little sleep. Steve and I headed down to the night market and grabbed some dinner and beer before shopping around a bit. Everything is so cheap! Didn't buy anything though. Being really good about it all.... We went on a crazy series of outings that evening. Started trying to find the Rasta Bar that his friends has told him about. We ended up in a Rasta Bar Area where there were 7 or 8 bars all with Thai Bob Marley look alikes playing Reggae. It was priceless. We finally found the Rasta bar after looking and walking for about 40 minutes. It was much of the same. Off to Bubbles for some dancing... not feeling it so we hit up a small bar near our hotel and drank Chang Beer, enjoying the evening.

Marc and David arrived the next morning. I spent another day walking around the city. Not much going on but I enjoyed a small park in the area before taking in some other Thai culture. They have so many temples here you wouldn't believe! That evening, I showed Marc and David to the night markets. I caved and bought myself a necklace for less than $2.00. It's awesome although I did feel a little guilty. We grabbed a beer after dinner and I was pretty exhausted from the day and headed back to the hostel early.

The next day, Saturday, was much more of the same. Took in the 3 Kings Monument and walked the rest of the city I hadn't seen. I think all the walking and the crampped traveling styles has left my body in a little bit of pain because I had the shooting sensation down my leg that wasn't letting up. That evening a bunch of us from the hostel headed out to the Roof Top Bar. Super cool with a nice lookout of the city and moat. Awesome place. I spent most of the night talking with Ken, the manager of the hostel. Thai guy who was so helpful while I was there. Great evening.

Sunday we were up early to get the mini-bus to Pai.... the city of backpackers that I had heard so many good things about!
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: