Trip Start Nov 02, 2007
Trip End May 16, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , District of Columbia
Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Tuesday 22nd April 2008
I arrived on the train later than expected but suited me. I got in at 9am and collected my bags and made my way to the metro to begin my mission to the hostel. I felt really silly with so many bags but it made the journey much cheaper and it saved me money! I got to the hostel which is more like a home, which is really nice. You have to take your shoes off and theres a nice sofa with tv and free internet. After updating my blog I had a shower and headed downtown. I saw the White House, Washington Monument, WWII Memorial, Reflecting Pool which is the scene for Forrest Gump, Lincoln Memorial, Korean Memorial, then I walked to Capitol Hill. After playing tourist I headed into chinatown and had sweet and sour chicken for dinner. I was walking through the city and loads of people were wearing red. They were all going to Washinton Capitol Hockey Game. Seemed pretty big and important and I fitted in because I had put on a red top! hehe made me chuckle to myself!! Probably had to be there...
I got the bus home and chilled out at the hostel. Sleep in a nice comfy bed tonight!

Wednesday 23rd April 2008
I had a bit of a lie in then went and booked my accomodation and transport to Philadelphia. I booked the Chinatown bus which is 15 dollars, much less than greyhound and amtrak. I then headed to Georgetown which is the university area in Washington. Whilst waiting for the bus a television crew was filming near the gas station behind me so I asked what they were filming about. They were shooting a story for Fox 5 about a soup kitchen who were praying at the gas station for cheaper gas because the price has increased so much. The reporter invited me to a little event at the studios later in the day and gave me directions. Exciting! So I got on the bus to Georgetown. It is a really pretty area and I started talking to this old guy on a bike by the river. It was a nice conversation and he said I was a good ambassador for England! haha! After walking around the canal and enjoying the sunshine. It is surprisingly hot here which is nice. I then headed to Fox but John, the reporter, wasn't back from shooting so I waited in a bar where I was bought a hot chocolate by a kind lady who turned out to work with John and was going to the same thing as me. She was a reporter/anchor as well and she found it very funny how I had met John. It was very random. She took me to the studio and showed me the studio. I saw a weather man finish off the news slot then headed upstairs to the boardroom and sat and watched whilst everyone judged some newscasts. They were judging whether they were worthy of Emmy nominations. Slightly dull but I met the big boss and it was all very novel. Afterwards John gave me a complete tour of the studio which was really cool then took me to dinner and taught me all about American TV. It was so interesting. He then offered to let me join them tomorrow, he warned it might be a bit boring but you never know and if it is boring I could visit museums. So then I had the dilemma of whether to hang around and maybe lose 15 dollars or leave like planned. Pretty easy choice really...it's the industry I want to break!! However, I don't like the area i'm staying in. Walking home was scary. It is a very black, gangsta neighbourhood and I had to walk back from the metro to the hostel and loads of guys start talking to you and I thought someone was going to follow me. I was almost running. I think I will take my alarm out with me tomorrow.

Thursday 24th April 2008
I got up way too early for my liking today and the showers were busy so I had to rush to get to Wmata (Washington Metro American Transit Administration) for 9am. I arrived, went through security and headed to the board meeting. A lot of official looking people including the ex prime minister of  Washington who was sacked after 16 years for being caught in a hotel smoking crack! He had, however, found his way on to this board. The meeting was very boring and I couldn't hear everything, but then again I wasn't listening too intently! After the meeting John and I had some lunch then his camera man picked us up and we went to some locations to take some shots. I saw the Pentagon. They dropped by the museums and I went to the Holocaust museum which was really good and then the Natural History Museum. I asked a security officer a question and he started talking to me about English football for about 10 mins!! I had to take a picture! After the museums I started to head home but came across the old post office building which has been converted into a little mall. There is a tower tour which goes to the top and you can see all the way across Washington. Pretty cool! I treated myself to some frozen yoghurt then got the metro home.... the hostel is so homely I can actually call it that. I didn't travel home after dark today to avoid the dodginess and it was much better. I bought a microwave meal which turned out to only be 2 dollars which was good! Small things! Then I chilled out and watched Casino Royale. I spent the evening planning my next few days until I got a phone call from one of John's colleagues. He offered me a couch to sleep on which was very kind so I quickly packed up my things and headed to his place. It is a cool place and mean that I'm not in the dodgy neighbourhood!! I introduced him to Fat Freddy's Drop, becoming a habit of mine with new people, and we jammed away on drums! We're both going to the studio tomorrow which is really helpful because it saves me the hassle of all the trains.

Friday 25th April 2008
I had to get up early but fell asleep again to be woken up by Doug's call to say we were leaving in 25 mins. I rushed around then we headed to the studio and I waited for John to come in. We headed out on a story about new ways of checking in at the airport, on blackberrys etc. We interviewed and got some shots at the airport then headed back to the station. John created the script indicating what he wants for when it's edited. Then Doug edited it and finished about 5pm and it was on the news at 5.15pm. Really great experience and opportunity. In the evening fox were having drinks at Chadwick's, a bar down the road, so we went down there and then Doug and I headed to Adams Morgan (called something like that), and went to bar where a live band were playing. Had a little dance then headed home. Exhausted!!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: