Can you meet me halfway right at the borderline

Trip Start Jun 30, 2012
Trip End Aug 22, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Nevada
Sunday, July 29, 2012

29th July I managed to sleep in till 8.30 today after waking up at 6 which is quite a lie in for me since arriving. I then watched a few Olympic events before heading down to Ralphs to buy the family a present. I texted Nick yesterday to ask him what time he was picking me up however I got no reply. They finally arrived at 1 - I was surprised when I found Beth was in the car and wanted the boys to drop her off in Irvine - the complete opposite direction we were travelling too. We finally set off towards our destination at 2pm - the SatNav told us the drive takes 4 hours so we were in a rush. I am not going to lie the drive down was extremely boring - the game eye spy wouldn't last very long as all we witnessed on the drive was mountains, dust and mini plants. We arrived in Pahrump at around 5.30 - we always need to be on site by 6pm to meet the families. The boys were starving so decided to go for KFC - I brought some sandwiches and crisps with me so I didn't want anything. When we arrived at the fields we met the first host dad and also the regional coordinator called Dave - they had asked for one girl so I was placed with them. The host son Adam also arrived at the camp to drop off the equipment - I then went off with Dave to the house where I met Roselyn and their other son Daniel. We then chatted for a while before heading out to tea to a Japanese restaurant. We picked the menu where a person personally cooks your food in front of you on an almost hot plate. For our entree we had soup, salad and noodles before I then had Chicken Teriyaki for my main. The guy also performed many tricks including creating volcanoes and flipping the cutlery and the rice bowls with his spatula. When we finished we then headed to Dairy Queen where I had a caramel sundae before heading home. I then watched the Olympics on tv with the host family.
30th July I managed to lie in till 8am today after waking up at 6am - it was nice knowing I didn't have to get up for camp which usually starts at 8am on the first day. I didn't get up to much during the day - I watched the Olympic water polo, slalom kayaking and volleyball - the US team obviously - they don't show any other games unlike the British. Then just before we had lunch we headed on down to Smiths which is the local supermarket and bought in a load of treats and things I like to eat. When we arrived back from the shops I started cooking lunch for myself and Daniel - I had been telling them about the British delicacy of beans on toast. Daniel loved it and I managed to convert him to the British ways. I then prepared myself for camp and we headed on down for 4pm - the local area around was very gloomy and we were told there was a mini monsoon in Vegas and we received the wind instead - it was blowing a hooley. I thought I would get a break from coaching the little ones but sure enough the other two didn't want to do it - Jack had the little ones last week but he had the oldest age group for the little ones. We then drew grass to see who would take the little ones and the person with the shortest piece had to coach - I always lose at these types of things so I knew it would be me and sure enough I was right. I had to coach just 5 kids today - to begin with one dad had to follow his kid around when he first started as he seemed nervous but by the end he got really into it. Two other kids didn't really put any effort into the day - whilst I had two other kids keen from the start. I was relieved when camp finished as it did drag - Dave picked me up from camp and we headed on back to the house. I then grabbed tea before watching some more Olympics - I am glad it is on this week as I have dedicated the past day and a half to watching it. 
31st July Today was a pretty uneventful day again. My host dad is the regional coordinator for the Pahrump region and with the season starting soon there is a lot of paperwork around the house. I was told that today was the day they had to order the teams kits - I was bored so I decided to help them - I regretted this later as there are 65 teams in this area and we had to select shirt, shorts and socks which matched and rough sizes for each age group - it took a good couple of hours. Once we finished this lady who works for the AYSO region popped around with her kids and helped with the paperwork. Myself and Roselyn then went to Taco Bell for lunch - I had been given some Taco Bell vouchers in Visalia so decided I would get some use out of them. I then decided to go outside where it was quiet as this ladies kids were running around the house. I decided to take a snack out with me - tortilla chips and salsa. As soon as I got outside I was almost attacked by the dogs - they were on their hind legs trying to get my chips. I then tried to run back inside but they managed to fit through the gap in the door so we proceeded to chase them around the house in order to get them back outside - woops. 
We didn't think camp was going to go ahead today as it was thundering and lightning all day - however it cleared by the time camp was about to start. I only had 4 kids today -I was told I was meant to have 6 today. Like yesterday I found that one kid didn't really want to get involved, however he gradually became more enthused towards the end of the camp. The camp was a lot better today as the kids seemed more enthusiastic - I am not going to lie I wasn't looking forward to it after the first day however I enjoyed today's session. Once camp finished Roselyn picked me up and took me back to the house where we had pizza for tea as they were all too busy to prepare anything.
1st August I could try and jazz up today and say I did a load of amazing things but I will be lying. My day consisted of watching Olympics, sunbathing, sleeping and writing postcards. I almost fell asleep just as I was about to leave for camp so I decided to have a powerade to build my energy as you need plenty of energy to coach the little ones. The camp went well - Dave and Roselyn even watched my session and were amazed how I kept the kids attention for almost three hours. We then went back home and had tea - spag bol, before watching some more Olympic events.
2nd August Today we had a mini adventure to this place called Ash Meadows a place in the middle of nowhere which contains all these springs with crystal clear water. We also visited this place called Devil's hole a crack in the earths crust where water has seeped through - the depth here is unknown. I went with Dave, Daniel and his mate Dylan and they all stated that the water is shallower than it used to be - it wasn't very impressive any more. We also went to this little house where this guy used to live when he was hiding away from the police. I heard Dylan on a few occasions ask Daniel what did I say and later he stated he didn't understand one word of what ever I said even after speaking slow and toning down my accent haha. Then we grabbed lunch at Subway - I am sure one of the kids I coach mum was there. We then sat down to eat when this weird old guy asked us if we were Mormons and we said no - he then mumbled that some Mormons were killed the other day as he heard it on the radio - we were like oh right. We then went back home and chilled out before I had to coach. Camp flew by today and once finished we headed to KFC to grab some dinner - the second time I have ever been
3rd August - I woke up super early today and prepared myself for the day. Dave suggested that we could go to the cinema and watch Batman the dark knight returns at a cinema about one hour away - on the way to Las Vegas - this town doesn't have a cinema. We headed off to the cinema at around 10am in order to watch the 11.40 showing of the movie. Before we went in we decided to buy some drinks and popcorn - the medium drink probably contained 1L worth of drink, whilst the popcorn (which was a large) was about 4x the size of a large back home. I didn't get back to the house till just after 3.30 - I needed to be on camp by 4.30 so it was a bit of a rush. I also quickly checked my computer and found that I will be living in Laguna Hills next week which is right by Aliso Viejo - where one of my fave fams from last year lives and the location where I had my infected foot so didn't get to do much. The camp today dragged as I began with three kids with one kid not wanting to play some games such as what's the time mr wolf or bull dogs as he is scared of them and another kid who has a poor attention span and misbehaves a lot. Then the loudest kid returned after 1 1/2 hours but within 30 mins of him leaving we had to cancel camp as the thunder and lightning was becoming more regular and heading our way. We probably left camp by 7.30 after completing the presentations - we were meant to leave at 8. After camp we headed down to a mexican restaurant where I had chicken fajitas. 
4th August Today I had to run a goalkeeper session which involved coaching four boys the techniques and tactics of being a goalkeeper. The session flew by and once finished I headed back to the house whilst Dave grabbed some lunch for me. The boys arrived to pick me up at around 2 and we then headed on down to Hermosa beach. We arrived at the Seahorse Inn at around 7pm and got ready for our night out. We headed on down to this Iris bar where we were joined by a host of coaches including Beth and her new cluster of Jay and Ellen - later in the night Andy from Long Beach arrived. The night was ok - all we did was sit down and talk at this table before we left. 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: