To the beach beach lets go away

Trip Start Jun 30, 2012
Trip End Aug 22, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , California
Monday, July 23, 2012

23rd July Yesterday I took the note down of our address but the host daughter managed to spell it wrong - I then had a few phonecalls from Nick asking is this right I then checked with the family and changed it. We were meant to arrive at 8 but we arrived a little after. When I arrived I found out I was coaching the fun in the sun group - the youngest age group. It took a while to get things going today - I then received the worst news that I would have the youngest ones in the fun in the sun age group which are the 4 and 5 year olds - I have 13 kids in total. The camp wasn't that organised and we were all quite embarrassed when the RD turned up. I didn't start coaching until around 10.15 despite camp starting at 9 - we had previously completed a big warm up - by the time I was given my group the children needed the toilet so we had to search for some toilets. I had placed my pitch right next to some portaloos however someone came to take them away as soon as we were about to begin which was annoying so it was a trek to find any bathroom. When we finished we had a meeting with the RD before being able to leave - the camp director Nick took me home. I then watched some tv with one of the daughters called Aline. Then once Kenya was back we had tea which was a roast dinner before she then took us to Downtown Disney which is just down the road from here. When we arrived we went straight to the Disney store and then I asked what was a funnel cake and by the time I had asked we were already in the queue. A funnel cake is very healthy - naaaaattt it is fried dough and then they placed strawberries and cream on the outside - it was ok. We then went to watch the fireworks which go off every day - the family said they can sometimes hear them from their house. The fireworks were quite good - I liked the ones which transformed into a heart and a star. We then had a look around the rest of the shops and the Lego characters such as woody and buzz, beauty and the beast and the Aladdin characters. We then had some pretzels before heading home. 
24th July I was surprised coaching the little ones didn't drag and rolled by pretty quickly - once finished one of the coaches dropped me off back home. Then I headed off down to the local mall - Matt dropped me off there. I then bought a top from forever 21 before going for a quick snack from McDonalds. I then had a look around Hollister and bought a couple of tops from there too. I then headed back to the house with the use of my map Matt sketched. Then once Kenya was back we had tea which was tacos before getting ready for tonights game. Myself Kenya and Klayton headed on down to the game - we picked up Kenya's brother Kenny on the way too. We then found our seats which in the first half was near the Spurs corner flag - they were quite high up too. Spurs scored first through Gareth Bale before LA Galaxy equalised - I don't know who scored the only players I know in LA Galaxy are Donovan and Beckham who both weren't playing as they are playing against Chelsea in an all stars game the following day. The game finished at around 9.30 but it took around 40 minutes or more to get out of the car park. Ten minutes after we got out we were waiting at some traffic lights and the car suddenly shook - someone had hit us. Luckily it wasn't that bad and we were all fine just a little shocked. We then pulled into a carp park where we switched details with the other drivers - they were in a hire car and were French however they could speak good English. We then phoned the police as we had to fill out a police report - the car had a minor scratch on it but Kenya said she wanted to be safe than sorry especially if we had to deal with insurance companies if there was any internal damage. We should have arrived back at the house before 11 as the journey is only 30 minutes long however it was around 12pm by the time we got back.
25th July Once I finished camp today I headed straight back to the house where I then grabbed some lunch. I then decided to go for a 15 minute run - when I decided to go for my run it was 70 odd degrees but as soon as I was about to leave the temp monitor on my computer went up to 81F. I didn't look my best when I got back as I was very hot. Then we decided to go out for tea and after much deliberation we decided to go to a Chinese restaurant. We ended up getting a collection of items and then helped ourself to each one. 
26th July The children today were all so badly behaved and sent me crazy - I am so glad it is the next to last day. Kenya decided to pull the boys out of soccer camp early as we had planned to head down to Huntington Beach. We quickly nipped back to the house before picking up Jimmy and Jose from summer school. We then played a little american football and soccer on the beach. One of the coaches Lee has been asking me all week if anyone is doing anything so I let him know I was heading down to the beach and he then joined us. We then went into the sea and played about in the waves. We then got out and had a go at beach volleyball, once we finished playing everyone else decided to go back in the sea - I was felling cold after being in the sea so I decided to give it a miss. On the way back home we decided to stop for tea, we went to a Mexican restaurant and I had Chile Colorado which was meant to be hot but it wasn't and contained pork rather than beef. Then once we finished our meal we headed back home and got ready for a kick about at the park. To begin with we passed the ball around between ourself before then playing a proper match. I managed to score a number of goals too but then towards the closing stages of the game my right knee gave way like it did a few months back. As soon as I did it I feared I had sprained my knee again - I will have to see in the morning but I am fearing the worst, however it doesn't feel as bad as last time. We then headed straight back home to ice it.
27th July Today dragged major style as the kids were restless on the off - I combined with Andy's group today because of my knee and the fact we both had small numbers. Whilst coaching Kenya arrived and gave me the choice between going to see the Jay Leno show or going to San Diego - I picked the latter and then after realising I have tomorrow to go to San Diego I called her back and changed her mind. We then quickly nipped back to the house and grabbed some lunch whilst I checked up on my next camp location. I have been assigned Pahrump - as soon as I read it I thought it didn't sound like a Californian name plus the family had never heard of it and it is in fact in Nevada just 90 minutes away from Las Vegas. This location is right on the California-Nevada borderline and is another 100F place as it is close to Death Valley. This camp like Hemet is going to be a 5-8pm camp as opposed to a 9-12am camp probably because of the heat. We then headed off to the show which is just past Downtown LA - the traffic wasn't too bad and it took us just over an hour. When we arrived we waited for Kenya's friend Jennifer - one of her patients at her doctors surgery - she has also said to Kenya she can go and watch the show whenever she likes. As Jennifer was the set designer for the Jay Leno show she was able to give us an all access tour so we had a look at the place where they make props and on the film set of Days of Our Lives - sadly we didn't see Joey. We then headed on back to the Green room where we could help ourself to food and drink along with about 20 other people. We were then called in where the usher showed our seating location - we were placed directly facing the centre stage on the second level. Before the show Jay Leno came out and explained the whole filming process before getting ready and handing it over to his warm up guy. Then once ready Jay Leno reappeared and the show began. The theme today was heavily focussed on the Olympics - I don't know if he realised there was a British person in the audience but one of his gags involved some Olympic merchandise. Jay explained a host of different inventions created for the Olympics including a coffee mug and when you tip it up it had a picture of some really crooked and black teeth - he exclaimed like the British. The other inventions included a hat with an elastic band designed to prevent you resting your head on a stranger when flying on a plane and a tambourine hat. Then the first guest Jeremy Renner came on an actor who stars in the new Bourne film and other movies such as the Hurt Locker and the Avenger series - I am not going to lie I didn't recognise him. Then after that Betty White appeared - I remember seeing her on the Graham Norton show once but I didn't really know anything that she had been in - she was funny but sometimes didn't really bother answering the questions posed. Then for the final Joss Stone sang her new song - I was hoping they were going to talk to her afterwards to see if she still had her dodgy american accent but she didn't. We then got out of the studio at around 4.30 and because of LA traffic we didn't arrive back at the house till just after 7pm. I really enjoyed the day and it isn't something I will get the chance to do too often - it was also cool watching all the equipment and how they filmed. I was also surprised how small the set is. We then had tea before watching the Olympic ceremony - I did my own little commentary throughout and explained all about the people on the screen and the music - I think my commentary was better than the American NBC guys. 
28th July Once again I couldn't lie in so I decided to pack my bag and go on my computer as we weren't expecting to head down to San Diego until 10am. In the end we left at 11am after having a cooked breakfast - I didn't mind leaving later than expected as I got to watch the mens cycling road race - however I was disappointed by the result. We got stuck in traffic along the way and when we finally reached San Diego we struggled to find parking - it was just gone 2pm when we finally got out of the car. We then decided to grab some lunch at this Mexican restaurant in the Old Town part of San Diego - the food was really good I had fajitas or fageetas in Georgie's case. The table next to us were serenaded by 3 men playing a guitar - like mum I think I would have felt awkward if they sang at our table. We were just about to ask for the bill when Kenya asked had I tried fish tacos or Mexican flan - I said I had tried neither. The fish taco was battered like fish and chips, my sweet tooth however preferred the flan - it was even caramel flavour - this was one of my fave ever desserts. We then waddled out of the restaurant after our collossal meal and decided to look at some of the old shops which have stood for hundreds of years - it was like something out of wild west. We then made our trip down to Balboa park - home to San Diego zoo - these tickets were given to Kenya as part of a deal when they went to watch an LA Galaxy game. We arrived at the park at 5pm - in the summer they close at 9pm and they say it is best to go at this time as we recognised in Florida as the animals sleep during the warmest part of the day. We then hopped on to a bus which provided us with a guided tour - where we saw 75% of the park. We then got off and explored the park ourself - everything was quite spread out but I was glad that my knee could handle it. The animals at the zoo came close to the fences unlike other zoos where you look out in the distance for them - however not as close as Barcelona zoo where the hippos were so close you could pet them. Towards the end of the day we headed on the sky rail and looked at the view throughout the park - however we didn't see much as it was so dark. We left the park at 9pm and headed on back home. We were driving along for about 20 minutes when we suddenly noticed we were taking the I5S rather than the I5N and were heading to Mexico so we quickly turned around after noticing our error - I did however get to see Tijuana in Mexico which is easy to spot as the border is quite hilly. We picked up a quick McDonalds for the girls for tea and then reached home at around 11pm.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: