Time machine to last year

Trip Start Jun 30, 2012
Trip End Aug 22, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , California
Monday, July 9, 2012

9th July - on Monday of each camp week all coaches have to arrive 1 hour early - so we had an early start. As we didn't have anything in for breakfast we headed down to Ralphs for some cereal bars. I was assigned the 7 year old skills and thrills group (9 children) however one coach had 18 children. The kids in my group were easily distracted so by the end of the day my voice was starting to go. As I have been to this location before I asked whether I could do the full day - there is only however 7 kids on the full day camp and 2 coaches - it does drag a bit. After camp finished I drove down with Nick to Malibu beach and met the other coaches. I was quite hungry after camp so we headed down to Jack in the box - another healthy meal....... We left around tea time and headed back to the house - as Keri was working the night shift again and had only just got back from her previous nights one - so for tea we had a few snacks. I managed to get burnt during the day in random patches - I am going to have a weird tan by the ed of the summer. I decided to have an earlyish night as I felt quite tired - however once heading to bed I didn't feel that tired. 
10th July We had to arrive a little later today I was given 6 of Johns kids today and had to get rid of two of my best players and another kid who was always distracted by another kid. I noticed John's 6 he sent me were either unable to play or were badly behaved.The kids were better behaved today though. I wasn't feeling that energetic during the full day program however it went fairly quickly. After finishing Beth and John picked me up - we had to wait for John to have a haircut but after that we headed off to Zuma Beach. We met Nick and Jack and some other local coaches at the beach - some of the coaches decided to go boogie boarding in the sea however I couldn't be bothered getting changed into my swim stuff and it was freezing on the beach. Whilst we waited for John to have his haircut we went in this 99 cents or more store and bought a frisbee and tennis racket - however they both were rubbish. We got back to the house at around 6 - we only spent 1 1/2 hours at the beach. For tea we had steak in a Jack Daniels sauce with chips - it was very good. Myself and Beth decided to have an early night as we were both tired and were struggling to stay awake. 
11th July On the way to camp today we almost got lost (luckily we had a sat nav) as we were diverted from our normal route by some police - we ended up arriving at the park 10 minutes late. Both yesterday and today we have noticed some weird looking men going over this little hill right next to our park and 10 minutes later coming back up (we suspect drugs) and they seem to later hang around and watch the kids. When ever we try and confront them and ask them to leave they pretend that they can't speak english. Today we had this random man with no teeth and appeared either drunk/high turned up unlike the previous guys thus guy didn't appear to speak any language. After me and Nick tried to make him leave he finally left and cycling away - we have no idea if it was even his. When camp finished Nick dropped me back off at the house but the door was locked as Keri had popped out for a bit so I had to hang outside for about 40-50 minutes till she got back. Once back I quickly looked on my computer as my university results were being announced on the 12th and I worked out it would be 12am by the time I got back. I found out I got a 2:1 which was the grade I was aiming for. I found some of my modules were lower marks than I wanted, especially Pedagogy - that module leader is definitely not my best mate after him rejecting me at the PGCE interview. I then decided to go for a 20minute run around the block - I felt very good. Before heading down to Del Taco to get another milkshake (they are so good) we sat down and had tea with the family. I don't know if it was because of my results but all of us were very hyper in Del Taco - don't think the people around us were impressed, 
12th July Today I was running on low so in my full day I kept having to sit down on the balls - the full days do drag it out of you and they don't go by quick as we have around 6 children most of the time. After camp we all decided to head down Santa Monica where we went to a Mexican restaurant for some food and cocktails. Towards the end of the night this guy came out in bunny ears and started doing karaoke he even tried to get one of the coaches to sing and he was having none of it lol. After that we headed down to some english pub but we had to sit in the restaurant part as one of the coaches was 20 - we tried to get him into other places with no luck. We didn't leave till around 10pm - it was an interesting car journey back.
13th July Some of the other coaches weren't feeling as fresh as me - but I felt like I was running on low after the week - these kids keep me on my toes. When the full day arrived we started off with just 6 players however within the final hour 2 kids left and then for a while another kid sat out for a bit. The time absolutely dragged so I was glad when 3 oclock came round. When I got back I was greeted with an email telling me I was going to Rancho Santa Margarita in the OC however as the main driver - I quickly phoned up some of the guys in the office and explained that I was not driving so I had to switch with one of the other coaches who was going to Visalia a farming community just above Bakersfield. I then did my research to see what this place is about and found it is near Yosemite, has a water park and is 4 hours away from San Francisco. 
We then decided to head down to the mall which is nearby our house - I didn't actually buy anything but grabbed some tea from Panda Express. We had to wait for Beth in this shop called Forever 21 for an age. We then got lost for a bit trying to find our car but once we found it we headed down to this bar called The Tipsy Goat. We sat in the outside part of the bar despite the warm weather they even had patio heaters - we all asked if they could get turned off as it was warm enough. We then met a couple of other coaches - one told me he was going to the San Jacinto/ Hemet camp the next week - it is only a 2 man camp now so my family aren't hosting this year. I don't think we got back to the house until about 12pm - I literally ran into bed as I was yawning away at the bar. 
14th July Today I had a rest day from coaching - two of the other coaches had to do the striker and goalkeeper clinics but I had a rest day as I did the full day camps. I woke up early as I share a room with Beth and she was doing the striker clinic so I decided whilst I was up to go for a run around the block. I felt so hungry on my run as I passed a park where anyone could turn up and join in with this BBQ - I was so tempted to ditch my run. Once I arrived back I waited for John to wake up and hung out with him until Beth got back - once she did we headed on down to the grocery store to pick up some thankyou gifts for our host family. However once back we noticed Paul had gone - he had been in the rest of the morning and Keri had already left for work. We felt bad but we had arranged the night before to head down to Hollywood and let Paul know that morning we were leaving. Once Jack and Nick headed down to our house we left - we had to leave their present on the table.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: