Beach break

Trip Start Unknown
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , California
Sunday, July 31, 2011

On the Sunday we chilled out with the family, Sam was in a bad state from the night before so he chilled with us all morning whilst the others were at church. We then frantically were trying to get in contact with Scott to see what was happening about today as he was the driver. He finally showed up at 3.15 he was meant to be there an hour earlier and fill the car up with petrol which he didn't do so we were in a rush to make the meeting time at 6pm. We then had trouble using the gas cards so speeded all the way here. Somehow we managed to get to the park 15 minutes early so we waited to meet the other coaches and the host families. We were paired with the Stone family who asked for female coaches as they have two young daughters Hannah who is 8 and Hayley who is 2. The family are very proper and traditional and the eldest is homeschooled but they seem very nice people. We then spent the rest of the night trying to understand what the little one was saying - she was a right little chatterbox.
  Monday was the first day of camp, I was assigned the 8 year olds with my host families daughter being in that group - I have 14 kids in my group which is a lot. After camp myself, Scott, Ashleigh and Jack went to In n out burger before heading to the beach. We didn't have long on the beach after as the boys had to get down to the camp again. Unfortunately on the beach I dropped my camera, when I was retracing my steps I found a woman who found it, she had said someone else tried to pass it off as their own but she didn't trust them. I was so relieved until later when I was trying to take a picture and it wouldn't allow me to do so and made weird noises - it was broken. We then met up with the host family and their kids to go to a nearby beach where we made sand castles and boogie boarded. Once back home we had tea whilst I tried to mend my camera with no luck.
  On the Tuesday the kids seemed a lot more restless so the session wasn't as easy. After camp the 4 of us walked along the prom and the pier before making the most of the seaside food by going to Subway. We then had a look at a few of the shops before heading back home, and heading to target with the family to buy a new camera. Once back home we chilled out with the kids, treated to a smoothie before we went hiking with the mother. We went to a local park with quite steep hills - it felt like the parish walk again, the course took around 45 minutes. Once back we ate cookies before having another early night ( we went to bed at 9.30 the previous night too).
On Wednesday it was Wacky Wednesday so we were woke up to Hannah trying on all silly things and perfecting her wacky costume. Hayley saw how crazy Hannah's hair was so decided to get involved herself. Wacky Wednesday took a long time, it always seems as though the kid with the crazy dance and rubbish costume always wins. Once finished myself and some of the other coaches played this keepy uppie game and if you dropped it you earned a H and so on till you spelt out horse. I lost on 2 occasions and on my second go I had to turn round, where I was pelted by Ashleigh in the calf and by Jack in the bum with the football. Once back we met Cari's mother who was looking after the kids before I went out with Hannah to play badminton and boules. Ashleigh then had to leave for camp as she had to fill in for Scott so in the mean time we chilled out before having tea which was grilled chicken and vegetables on the BBQ. Then me and the girls went to an ice cream place - I had cookies and cream, it was so good. Hayley got a baby one in a cone which was the smallest thing I have seen in my life. I then waited for the rest of them to come back as we were going to go to the fair, but by the time they came back they said it was too late.
  Thursdays session was even more difficult with the kids, once over we headed straigh to Oxnard beach where we hoped to jet ski and later surf. Unfortunately once we arrived at Oxnard they informed us the jet ski place had closed down - thanks for letting us know on the website. Me and Scott then found a place which sold fish and chips so we had that for lunch. We then asked where was the nearest decent beach and they pointed to this place 1 minute away - they weren't wrong it was the best beach I have been to. I was jealous of some of the nearby home owners which parked themselves right on the beach. We then chillled out and played american football before larking about by the lifeguard tower and pretending we were lifeguards. We later headed back home and for the rest of the day me Hayley, Hannah and Ashleigh played outside. We later had hamburgers and fries with apple crisp for dessert - good stuff. Cari's mum joined us again, we met her yesterday whilst she babysitted the kids. Then I headed up early to complete my plans for the next day.
  Again Friday was crazy as it was last day, at the end some of the kids asked for their balls to be signed and have pictures with me, I was a little busy at the time so I asked could we do it after everyone has signed out, when I turned round afterwards they had all gone - woops. The 4 of us were eager to find out about our next camp so we then headed to Jack's and Scotts house to find out where we were going. It was only meant to be a short stop but we were there for ages - I was my usual patient self, we only left after the two cleaners literally kicked us out as they had finished the whole house except the area we were in. We finally thought we were heading to the beach when Jack then asked could we pop to the store as I needed to get some cash back to pay him for last weeks camp - we decided I would pay for $4 worth of products and then get out $60, he then spent forever choosing something, and then Scott decided after that to get lunch. We finally headed down to the beach , as the boys had to be back for the evening camp we only had 40 minutes on the beach (despite camp finishing at 12 and they had to be back at 4 - it was a 20 min drive too!!!). The boys went shopping and to get a haircut whilst myself and Ashleigh sunbathed on the beach - we have found there is a complete boy- girl role reversal on this trip, as the boys want to go shopping all the time and we don't. When we do go to the shops its funny as me and Ashleigh will be waiting outside on the seats for them after finishing looking round the store ourself - I feel like dad. 
  Me and Ashleigh were surprised when a woman suddenly called out Ashleigh's name, it happened to be a kid and his mother from the last camp in Bakersfield which is 3 hours away. We then headed down to the car and Jack arrived without Scott we thought the two were together, we then drove off in the hope of finding him on the way as we were pushing for time luckily we found him. The boys then dropped us back off home and I spent a bit of time on my computer before getting bored and going for a walk and look at some of the nearby shops. Once back we headed out to this restaurant Sharkies where I had a burrito. Phil seemed to know the guy behind the counter as he had previously taught him, the guy then said he would give him a friends discount plus we had a voucher ourself so we managed to feed 6 people for $16 - not too bad. We then went back to the icecream shop to get a jelotti, unfortunately they didn't have the cute little cones they had the other day as they sold out - I had cookies n cream again. All week Cari has been talking about this movie Soul Surfer about a pro surfer who loses her arm to a shark and then gets back into the sport - we decided to rent it at the store and bring it home. We then watched the movie and chilled out and chatted for the rest of the night. There are talks tomorrow to go for a hike and then to the beach to surf - probably wasnt the best movie to watch as was watching Titanic just before we went on a P&O ship on the watersports trip. 
Saturday was a busy day for us, I had planned to go for a run at some point in the day but after waking up at 5.30 and not being able to get back to sleep I decided to get ready and ended up going for a run just before 7 - I usually hate morning runs and insist I go after tea, I actually felt very good, I ended up going round the park and block. Once back I chilled out with the family, Hannah seemed a bit under the weather so we decided that she should stay home with Cari whilst the rest of us went hiking and to the farmers market. We went for a hike and realised once back down the farmers market wouldn't be on as there was the towns parade on, I wasn't too confident about the hike when I noticed a sign warning us against mountain lions in the area. The parade was so random and me and Ashleigh couldn't help laugh we had tractors, mini cars, shetland ponies and cheerleaders. It didn't go to plan too with cheerleaders and american footballers dropping their items and then trying to cover it up - we spotted you lol. Afterwards we headed back to the house where I chilled out and spoke to mum on skype before getting ready to go surfing. Cari had a spare wet suit so I just about managed to squeeze into that, we then headed to her mates to pick up the surf board. Hannah decided to come with us but soon realised she was too tired to join us at the beach so we dropped her back off home. 
The beach was packed with surfers but I tried to make out I was confident, and went straight for the waves - I must have paddled out around 50m into the sea. Ashleigh went out the same time as me on her boogie board, after swimming a few strokes I turned around and she was back out - supposedly one big wave hit her and that was enough. To sum it up my surfing ability was pretty awful - I however did manage to stand up for a second on two occasions and then fall straight into the sea - hopefully I can practice more some other time, I was told it took years to master. I must have given it quite a few goes - it was a battle stubborness vs pride. I then got out of the sea for a bit and was planning to go again but at this point it got colder and the waves were getting bigger and the surfing area smaller - so I decided to call it an experience. We then dropped the surf board back before heading back home for tea. In the evening myself and Ashleigh played this american states game with Hannah before she had to go to bed. Later in that evening we played this game called the settlers of catan, the rules seemed so complicated and too be honest I wasn't looking forward to it as I planned my exit stratergy. I was glad when Cari brought out some chocolate fudge ice cream to give my head a rest. Once playing the game I realised it was quite decent - I would actually recommend it, it is similar to monopoly but is all about stratergy. I know wish I understood it more at the start as I just hoped to cruise through the game and hopefully someone would win - my competitiveness had gone. 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: