Tough time in paradise!

Trip Start Nov 21, 2009
Trip End Aug 09, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Rattle 'n' Hum

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Wednesday, April 14, 2010


i'm Back!!

Well it has been an agonising 5 weeks in Port Douglas, this place really is Paradise!!! What have I been upto since Dad left! The main plan was to get some diving work on board some of the boats that go out to the reef. Well I went down to the Marina to hand out my CV and see what happened, unfortunately everywhere was the same. As it was the quiet season it was very quiet and werent hiring at this time, but I was told to hang around for a couple of weeks. So i thought why not, in no real rush to go anywhere!

I was staying at the Rattle 'n' Hum where i was able to get some dishy work to cover my accomodation costs. All i had to do then was wait for a phone call to go out on a familiar day (trial day) and get some dive work. To be honest, considering where i was, i didn't really make the most of my first couple of weeks in Port Douglas, unsure whether work would turn up or not and would I have more luck in Cairns. As I had a pretty good set up here, with a good bunch of people and a nice place to stay i thought may as well hang around. We passed the time watching DVD's playing Poker and drinking......ALOT!!

We celebrated St Paddy's day in style, was a bit strange that we were unable to get Guiness in the pub called Paddy's! I made the most of my Gateway to the Outer Reef with a few more trips out with plenty of diving thrown in also. One trip was on Silver Sonic and another on Aristocat with the guys from the Hostel, Nathan the king of blagging managed to get us all a great deal on that!

More time chilling out, BBQ's, beers and obviously working in kitchen in the bar downstairs. One great day out was when we decided to hire some Tandem Bikes, i had never been on a tandem before and it was really weird! I started at the back and struggled to get used to the fact my handlebars didnt move! Luckily Emma had enough of driving and i took over, when the four of us (Jake, Jenna, Emma and Me) hit the beach it was alot more entertaining and surprised we only almost came off once!! With half an hour to spare, we decided to use some condoms as water bottles (Much to Jake's disgust as they were his!) and we tore around town throwing water bombs at people, well tried, the only person emma managed to get was me as i broke to hard and she threw it at my back!

We also had a day at Hartley's Crocodile Farm (thanks again Nathan for blagging us a freebie on this one!), lots of different animals here but the main ones were obviously the Crocs, with Big Ted the main attraction. He was a croc measuring a huge 5.2m and had no teeth! somewhat amusing when he was gumming down his food! Still wouldnt want to feel his jaws locked around my arm!

One Night Jake and i decided to play a little game of 'Across the Pond', a drinking game that if not played well can lead to a very drunk Jake and some horrible friend putting a great video together of the night, i wont say anymore but i have attached the video for everyones entertainment! Sound necessary!

The following day I got a phone call from Aristocat to see if i was free to do a familiar day with them in the hope as to get some Divemaster work with them, so Monday rolled around and out i went, helping with snorkellers and assisting both certified and uncertified divers. Unfortunately one of the perks about working on the boat is deal with people with motion sickness, was a pretty bad day to be out and there was around 26 people at one time feeling slightly under the weather, not a great side to the very fun and relaxing side to the job!

That night I had another happy dose of seeing some familiar faces. Mum and Terry came over to visit and after the initial Hello's mums first response was to stare in shock at my hair! I still haven't had it cut since before i left home and its a bit longer than i've ever had it before! We had a great few days, starting with a day chilling around Port Douglas and showing them the sights, I think they would both move here if that could! We did another trip out on Aristocat for mums first open water dives since becoming certified and Terry snorkelled over us, then we had a day up the SkyRail to Karunda and the Koala Farms, with my new mate Blinky I was able to get a photo holding a Koala and also petting Wallabies and Kangaroos! Sadly, mum and Terry then had to head back to Sydney before heading home via a short stay in Dubai.


With me back in the Hostel again and having two Familiar days (second one was with Haba - a very UNprofessional outfit!!) i decided that i couldn't hang around much longer and i needed to get my arse in gear and organise something! I did get something out of the familiar days though, i was able to get a better idea about how the boats worked and the sort of roles i would be needed to do. Plus, they did want to hire me but they wanted me til the end of the year and I only said i'd be there a couple of months.

Monday afternoon and everyone said we had to do something! So Jake, Nathan and I went to Cable ski! It was great! If anyone isnt sure what it is, it is wakeboarding on a lake, and instead of a boat pulling you around it was a cable hung high above the water! It was great fun, but i sucked! the Knee board was fine, but standing on the wakeboard was not easy! so i spent the last 40mins of the session face planting and even managed to pull my rope off the cable at one point! Still aching now as well!

Tuesday was pretty chilled out, got my bag fixed that broke and then we went to the beach, a couple of beers, some beach golf and then we dug holes! It was like being a kid again, such fun! ha!

Wednesday was organisation day! I went to Flight centre knowing what i wanted to do in the time i had and to do it in and needed to know how feasable it was, luckily it was doable! So its now 5am and i am at Cairns airport waiting for my flight to Ayres Rock for my tour around the Red Rock, then its Fraser Island and the Brisbane for a skydive before heading back to Sydney for my flight to New Zealand! Will update you all then!

take care


p.s. I wrote this a few days ago, but was unable to get online to put it up, i have just finished a 3 day tour around Uluru and King's Canyon, but will put that in the next blog! It was incredible!!

Post your own travel photos for friends and family More Pictures

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: