Adios Lima, Hola Bogota

Trip Start Oct 25, 2012
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Peru  , Cusco,
Friday, November 2, 2012

31/10/12: I arrived back in Lima on Thursday at about midday. Priority 1 was to clean my very stinky clothes. I walked about 20 minutes to find a lavanderia (laundromat) that was able to do my clothes in a day. I then walked to Larcomar and booked a sightseeing tour bus for the afternoon to better orientate myself (day 1 and 2 had not been very successful) and figure out what to do on Friday. The bus was overpriced and a bit pointless. But it was successful in giving me ideas for Friday. I couldn't hear a word the tour guide said and of the 20 ish people there were only 2 English speakers. We drove through the main areas in downtown Lima and then stopped for a guide through San Francisco Convent and catacombs where I had another history lesson. The bus was late getting back and dropped me about 2.5km from home in the dark... But I need to walk more right? It was Halloween that night so there were a few kids out and although some places had put in some effort, it was nothing major.

1/11/12: Friday morning I woke up at 8 (best sleep yet) and had another shitty breakfast. I then hailed a cab back to downtown Lima. Despite Mums warnings (which I will heed in Bogota), hailing cabs off the street was not an issue. In fact, they were the nicest people and it was a primo opportunity to practice my Spanish- as most of them didn't speak any English.

I started at San Martin Plaza, then Plaza de Armas, then a church, palace, old justice hall (insert free tour), Roman square, china town and finally the Hotel Bolivar. Although these places sound touristy, they were quite far apart... And there are very few blond tourists. I was stalked (very creepy), stared at, pointed at, laughed at, offered weed and giggled at by girls saying 'hola' and then running off. I think I walked for 3 hours straight. Hence Hotel Bolivar as the final stop- for a pisco sour and some tequenos. Wow that pisco sour was strong! It took me about 40 mins to down it.

I then went back for my washing (which wasn't done) - so I sat on the grass for an hour. I saw a guy who I had seen every single day in Lima again. He always asked what the time was (even though I don't have a watch) and when I asked why he kept asking me- he said it was to practice his English. Right, maybe get a job instead of roaming the streets for tourists with watches (I thought that, didn't say it).

After a quick break from all the walking, I went back to downtown Lima to the water fountain park. . Which was really enjoyable and relaxing. Is it Peruvian? No. It's just a water fountain park... But if I lived in Lima, it would be a first date destination for sure. They turn on coloured lights at night too. I had a quick bite for dinner and then headed to bed.

have a gross sunglasses tan now. Lima was sunny (ish) the last 2 days, I forgot sunscreen the last 2 days and I'm currently taking doxycycline as an anti malarial (worsens sunburn). The triple combination has made me look like Rudolf.

2/11/12: I slept badly again last night. I woke up at 4:09am and my brain was running a mile a minute. I felt really anxious about everything and could not go back to sleep... Even after taking half a Stilnox. Yikes. So I lay awake for many hours watching time pass and listening to music. On the plus side, I will sleep well tonight.

After a quick breakfast at the hostel (btw, I don't want to see another jam bread roll for breakfast please), it was time to say chao to Lima. I took the same taxi (affiliated with Kusillus Hostel) to and from the airport both times in Lima. Every time, the fuel tank was flashing... But somehow we made it. On this final drive to the airport, I noted the fuel again, sure enough- it was empty. A couple of seconds later the car begins to slow 'ay ay no gasolina'. So, on the side of the main road, the driver left me in his car and caught a taxi to and from a petrol station. We then used a newspaper to funnel the fuel into the car.. Before driving to the petrol station to fill up his gas - not petrol! He had run out of gas and his back up petrol aka, he had squozen both his lemon supplies. Fortunately I am a Libran and had left ample time for the airport :).
Now, I am at the airport waiting to board the plane... Adios Lima, Hola Bogota!

@mickandmegan.. Ok so. We were meant to meet Alejandro for lunch on the last day... And when Kate and I got there, the other staff said he was upstairs sick. 40 minutes later when it was time to go, he walked in through the front door looking very drowsy (drunk?)... And when I asked his last name and email he said 'uhh Purcell' lol. So if you want, you can always emails sas travel and ask for his details? Sorry!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


da and Ron on

Hi nick, we have been following your exploits and love the blog, enjoy and be safe

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: