Kicking back and relaxing with sun, sea and sand

Trip Start Sep 26, 2009
Trip End Jan 06, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Hospedaje Bako

Flag of Peru  , Piura,
Friday, October 30, 2009

Mancora was a brilliant place to kick back and relax for a few days, especially after rushing up the coast on lots of buses... a well needed break and chill out!

We arrived bright and early and ignored all of the touts until we found ourselves a really nice place with a sea view... and so close that you could hear the waves crashing whilst getting to sleep... there were loads of barss, cafes and restaurants along the seafront, so we started with breakfast at teh cute old manīs cafe, the guy who had pointed us in the right direction for the hotel!

we then walked up and down the beach, Al tried to make me run around the headland when the tide was coming in, but I refused (I was too scared...!) However, we then ran under the pier whilst the tide was coming in, and it was longer than I thought... so got a bit wet (!) we had lunch , tummy still not right, but getting better... we then spent the afternoon wasatching the kite surfers and the srufers, and the horses. We thought about surfing (having a lesson) but there were too many surfers and not enough space to do it in... saw a lot of bumping into each other.. and the waves were pretty rough, so we decided against it... even swimming was quite exhausting as the undercurrent kept trying to pull you under, and then the waves would crash around you! Fun, but tiring!

WE bought some fruit from the local fruit man... will have a competition to see if anyone can identify the mystery fruit... it looked like a tomato, but when you cut it open, it looked like a peach, but tasted like a melon...! I will upload a picture if I ever manage too here... we also got a giant pice of watermelon, which we managed to get all over our faces whilst eating it!!! spent our time here, eating, drinking and walking up and down the beach...! we checked out the little makerts and al bought a little hempy bracelet, I got a necklace and we just enjoyed teh sun, sea and sand! and the seafood...which was amazing!

We watched the sunset, with a sangria... and stargazed on the beach as it was a perfectly clear night again... beautiful place and really nice to spend more than just one night in one place....! went to sleep listening to the sound of the sea...

We decided to DIY it for breakfast as we had seen a nice bakery... so we had caramel filled croissants, and ham sandwiches, and fruit... (brunch really!) We decided to explore the next beach along, but as the tide was coming in again, we asked a tuk tuk how much to go to hte next beach, he said 3soles, but we thought it was close, so decided to walk.. well, we walked for well over an hour along a dusty sandy road and didnt get anywhere really... just private properties all the way along, and uninviting psh hotels... we eventually (after nearly passing out from dehydration) succumbed t a bar with a view, with very expensive drinks... and then thought we would get a tuk tuk back... when he said 10s... we refused and started walking as we thought being rehydrated it would be better.... we were wrong. After a lolly from Sams icecream bike... we got a taxi back to the peir... for 3s... we kept refusing them until it got to 3s! we are cheapskates really!

Got straight into the sea when we got to the pier we were so hot and thirsty! Found a really nice place to eat, so keep going back to it, and enjoyed a few drinks for the sunset again... and we are still in the same place!!!!

Back on the move tomorrow though,

We spent our last day in Mancora relaxing, wandering up the beach, surf watching, and disposing of our coca leaves before the border! Al also spent most of his time on the beach here chasing after the little crabs... but only when they were away from their little holes, so they couldnt escape.. heīs a bit of a bully really, but hilarious to watch!!!!

We had some dinner and then headed to the little office to get our night bus, a bit early, as we didnt have anything to do until 11pm, but just as we got there, a massive parade starting coming down the street... we chatted to some locals about the differences between Peru and England... and then got our bus at 11.30pm... ready for our journey to Ecuador...! Fingers crossed the "most difficult border crossing in South America" goes okay in the middle of the night!
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: