Veni, vidi, vici

Trip Start Aug 25, 2007
Trip End Oct 07, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , California
Friday, September 14, 2007

After hours of curvy roads and a whole lot of nothing we came upon a place of beautiful valleys, flowing waterfalls, and acres and acres of picturesque scenes. We got to Yosemite much later than expected and so we were dying to fit it all in. We rushed to find a campsite, threw our tent up, and then drove out to see the park in all its beauty. We literally ran up to Bridal falls, marveled at its beauty and then we ran back to the car to head to Glacier point. Glacier point was a place where you could look out and see the whole valley in all its grandeur, plus the enormous rock face called "Half Dome" that was soon to be conquered. We went back to our campsite to fix our dinner over the grill. "Bear Warning" signs and special locked boxes to put all your food in surrounded the campsite. We tried to be very cautious about not spilling any juice or doing anything to attract the bears as we found out that even human spit will attract them. The greatest thing was that we decided to fix the messiest meal that we had ever fixed thus far, Texas caviar filled with juices. As we sat around the picnic table with our headlamps on, since it was very late at this point, we looked around at each other as we were all spilling juice over the table, ourselves, and the ground. We felt as though we were just spreading out bear bait all over our campground. As we cleaned up, we found that we had nowhere else to put the rest of the "bear juice" and Rachel (the grand hornito) took one for the team and drank the rest of the juice from the can. Thankfully, we made it through the night without attracting any bears and we woke up early in the morning to head out to a full day 18 mile hike of half dome. The trail was long but breathtaking every step of the way. We had our moments where we didn't think we could hike any more, but we kept trekking along in order to conquer our challenge. We finally made it to the end of the trail about mid day and came to the part that we did not even think could be real. As we looked at what was before us we saw a rock face that looked like it went straight up forever with only cables to hold on to and a few spread-out, wooden, ladder-like steps to get you to the top. We took a short breather, put on our gloves and then pressed on to the top. It was so windy that we felt as if we were going to be blown off the mountain. The climb was straight up and at points we felt the height of the rock face start to get to us. With cheers and encouragement from those who had already made it to the top, we made it! It was quite an accomplishment to soak in as we stood at the top and look at all the beauty that surrounded us. We spent some time at the top basking in the glory of it all and then it was time to trek to the bottom. We hurried as fast as we could to the bottom...and when I say hurried it still took us 4 hours to hike all that way. Dark was rapidly chasing us as we made it out of the trail and to our cars just in time. We were dirty, tired, and absolutely starving and so we decided to abandon our plans of camping there one more night. We went into town ordered a hot, cheese pizza and booked a hotel room where we could shower and get a good night's rest. I will say a pizza and a hot shower never felt so good!!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: