The sun is shining and I am so content

Trip Start May 31, 2008
Trip End Jun 14, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Mexico  ,
Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The days the activities and time here is just melting all together.  We do so many things and I find myself hanging out with so many different people that we are amazed when we try and recall what actually happened each day. 
Monday I think was the day that it was kinda nasty weather so a few of us switched shopping in Playa del Carmen to Monday incase Wednesday was nice out and we would rather be on the beach.  That was a very good choice because today is Wednesday and it looks nice out.  Shopping was fun, I didn't buy much but I did manage to barter down a nice silver ring.  We sampled some Tequila that Corey was buying for a friend back home.  Corey, Lisa, Alesha and Damien got their picture taken with a spider monkey.  Lisa and I got scared by a man dressed all in feathers, and we ended the trip with Churros from a street vendor.
Then that night we had our first a-la-carte at the Japanese restaurant.  It was FANTASTIC!  Great food, great atmosphere, and awesome show on the tepanyaki grill!  We had a reservation for 10:30 and didn't leave till midnight.  Then it was time to go to bed because we had to get up early for our Mayan Coba Encounter excursion!
Sooooo great!  Only 12 people all from our resort in a small van.  It was Marina, Ellen, and myself and a few others from Eastern Canada and a family from Belgium.  Nice intimate tour.  We started at 8 and drove out to Tulum where we got the run down of the day.  Then we drove north to the Mayan Coba ruins.  The guide we had was Mayan and spoke Mayan, Spanish, English, and Italian.  He gave us a 45 mins walking tour of the Coba ruins and then turned us loose to walk 2 km into the jungle to find the largest Mayan Pyramid which for about 1 more year people are permitted to climb.  It was a tough trek up the Pyramid (especially because I now have a bit of a cold) but the view from the top was breath-taking.  Then back down the pyramid to go for our next adventure.  It started with a Mayan purification ceremony by a shaman so we could swim in the sacred Cenote (sunken cave and underground river system).  Then we walked through the jungle in search of spider monkeys and howler monkeys.  While on the walk we saw 100+ different species of plant and insect life.  We then arrived at ZIP-LINING!  It was a tad scary but a blast.  I came in a little hot and heavy but performed a safe landing on the other side of the lake.  Then a short canoe ride and we were off to the Cenote!  The ride to the Cenote was the bumpiest road I have ever driven on.  I was amazed the van was actually able to navigate it but I only smashed my head on the walls or roof of the van 3 or 4 times.  I am attaching pictures of the repelling down in to the cenote and one of me and Marina in the bottom of the cenote.  I am also attaching a video of me diving off a cliff inside the centoe (that cliff was about 15 feet).  If you look carefully at the beginning of the video you can see a bat fly out of the cave.  The is another video of me jumping 35 feet into the cenote instead of repelling down but that video is on the camera phone of some friends from Italy we met.  They will e-mail it to me when they get back home.  Marina and I both performed the 35 feet jump however I must say that she did it on a count of 3 countdown I did it on a count of 9 LOL.  Our guides were so good that they didn't care how long we stayed at each event.  If we were all having fun we stayed.  Same thing with the beautiful lunch we had after swimming in a Mayan Village.  We were having a great time all talking and trying the crazy hot salsas that we stayed longer.  Before we left I bought a hand made hammock to string in the trees on the deck at my cabin.  (I am so looking forward to using it)  We headed back to the resort and ended up arriving 2 hours later then we were supposed to which was awesome!
Then luck was on our side.  We wanted to get into the a-la-carte Mexican restaurant but there were no reservations left.  However our buddy at reception is friends with the hostess there and he pulled some strings and we got in on the condition that we treat his friend well when we go there.  Oh and we had to be ready in 30 mins and get to the complete otherside of the resort STAT!  Sooooo worth it.  Marina, Ellen and myself had the best time.  Great food, wonderful service, Mango margaritas flowing, more Churros and we really got into things when we put on sombreros for a picture and then Ellen and I polkaed all the way out of the restaurant from our table to the music from the Mariachi band.  They were hooting and hollering to make us go faster.  It was very fun!
After we got back to the room we met up with a very tipsy gang with Jeff and Brandi and Marina and I joined them for a long starlit walk along the beach.  That was all I could handle with my cold and I took the tram back to the room and called it a night. 
My cold feels a bit better or the same this morning so I plan to take it easy today and tomorrow are the weddings!
Will touch base probably on Friday!
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: