Liverpool - A Derby Weekend

Trip Start May 15, 2010
Trip End Dec 15, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United Kingdom  , England,
Friday, October 15, 2010

Day One - Leaving home at 5pm i headed into the traffic of the M25 and M1 in the direction of Milton Keynes, the traffic was suprisingly light on the M25 only losing about 20 mins to 'roadway improvements' and then another 30 mins on the M1 due to 'sheer weight of traffic', i finally made it to Milton Keynes around 7:30. About an hour later we were in the Milton Keynes Hub looking for somewhere to eat, we decided on Italian and had a pleasant meal (well required after the drive), as we finished eating another friend arrived and the three of us headed out for drinks. After a drink in a local bar we headed to a club, getting in was not as easy as you might think as i was denied entry for 'being too casual', we headed back to my friends (only a walk around the block) and with a quick change into a shirt and shoes and back to the bar for a much easier entry. The club which had been selected has a very old feel, however the loud thumping music didn't seem to match the nights age range. After a number of hours in the club we called it a night and headed for home

Day Two - This day began around lunchtime and after an interesting demonstration on how not to cook poached eggs by my friend we headed to Liverpool via Brackley to drop off my friends son. The drive to Liverpool was pretty uneventful and we arrived at the hotel at around 4:30pm. After waiting for a receptionist, them trying to work out whether i had a reservation and then getting us a twin room rather than a double we headed to the room. It was about that time that the previous day caught up on us and we both took a couple of hours power nap. After the nap we headed into town, after waiting a while for the cab it turned up driven by a typical scouser, i cant tell you what he said to us on the journey as the blog would no longer be PG-13, however he did advise us on a place we could go for a drink, on arriving in town we went to the suggested bar. We knew it wasn't the bar for us just looking in the window. We then took a walk towards the night life, and after consulting a parked taxi driver headed to a Chinese restaurant for dinner. Following dinner we headed out to look for a bar, Liverpool has a high concentration of bars and club but seemed to be either very loud or very quiet, no real in between. So after a couple of drinks in a couple of bars (having seen the greatest diversity any city had to offer). We took a cab back to the hotel (not that our driver had any clue where our hotel was of course). So returning at about 11:30 the day was done, or so i thought, unfortunately i had my usual 3 or 4 hours sleep in a hotel bed (an issue i thought was solved in Canada). 

Day Three - Day Three began around 8am, we washed up and then headed down to breakfast which in this case was the help yourself buffet style id go used to in Europe, after breakfast we checked out of the hotel and headed back to Liverpool City centre and with coffee in hand (hot chocolate in my case) we took a walk to the major sights of Liverpool (see attached photos). After taking the photos of the main sights he headed for an early lunch as we needed to be at the ground for the 1:30 kick off. After lunch we headed towards the station and picked up a cab which took us to the ground. Getting out of the cab we joined the crowd heading in the direction of the ground (with a short stop to purchase a matchday programme). We walked down goodison road until we reached the turnstile designated on the ticket. Entering the stadium we made our way up to the stand in which our seat was situated. We were a little early and the ground was still pretty much empty. Over the next half an hour it filled to capacity (as it was a sell out). The view from our seat was pretty good (if you dont include the post hiding the centre spot). The game was surprisingly one sided and as the game went on it looked like there was to be only one winner, which is how the game ended. I as a fan of the winning team ended the game very happy, my friend as a fan of the opposition not so much). After the game we walked back to town taking about half an hour, with 34,000 fans leaving the stadium it would have been near impossible to get a cab. Getting back to town we picked up the car and headed out of the city. After about three hours and some really exciting slow moving traffic and a sat nav guided detour we arrived at our interim stop in Coventry for a stop to visit another of our friends who we had not seen in a while. After our detour it was a short drive back to Milton Keynes for a short stop overnight before heading home.

Day Four - This was simply the reverse drive from Day One, woken at 7:30 by my friend (as he had to work) i washed and dressed and with everything packed i made my way to the car and loaded up, once loaded i was off to enjoy 3 less than pleasant hours travelling the M1 (losing about 45 mins) and M25 (losing about 15mins), i arrived home around 10:30am and the adventure was over.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: