Banff - Summer in a Ski Town

Trip Start May 15, 2010
Trip End Dec 15, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Canada  , Alberta,
Saturday, September 18, 2010

Note: In order to keep the entry in order the date of this entry is stated as the 18th, however i arrived in Banff on the evening of the 17th.
Day One - Having walked down the main street to the hotel from the station we arrived at the hotel, it was Friday night about 6pm. I checked in to the hotel and was presented with a room key, a password for the complementary internet, a breakfast buffet voucher and a bus pass for the town bus system. I made my way to the room, it was one of the smaller rooms i had stayed in but was still big enough for a queen size double bed, a sofa and a 40" flat TV. I had agreed to meet the guy i walked down with at the bar for a beverage. After id been in my room for about half an hour i got a call and headed to the bar. We sat at the bar and the barman offered us a pint, once he began pouring we realised it wasn't a pint more like a pint and a half. We sat and chatted and watched the days English football, i think they showed about 3 matches back to back. I was just getting used to Canadian time and then during a break at half time in one of the matches they advertised a live UK match starting at 8am. After another beer, this time not a 'pint' it was about 10pm and since we had been up since 5:30 we decided to call it a night. 

Day Two - This day started about 8am, i had decided that this day would be a down day and other than looking for a compatible ATM i wouldn't be doing much. It was a small ski town and it was summer so there wasn't an awful lot to do other than book up and head out on excursions. I went down to the restaurant and had breakfast it was self service, cereal, toast, fruit, coffee and make your own waffles with maple syrup. After watching a couple of people use the waffle iron i gave it a go and made a giant waffle. After breakfast i went back to my room and had a snooze. After waking i took a walk into town, the concierge had told me that the only ATM i could use was at the other end of town. After walking the length of the main street and back i went back to my room and watched TV, surfed the net and slept a bit. In the evening i went back to the restaurant and had dinner, since it was chillis it had the same menu as the UK (pretty much) so i ordered and ate, after dinner the guy from the cruise was at the bar so i joined him and a couple he had met on his excursion and we chatted for a while. The bar TV was showing the Sunday football games and so i watched and drank a beer. At around 10pm i retired to my room after a restful day.

Day Three - This day started later at around 10am, i had a nice lay in and then went down for breakfast for the same buffet. After breakfast my plan was to get the bus to the gondolas and head up the mountain, however after catching the bus to the gondola station it was obvious that with the low cloud hanging just above the top of the ticket station that it would be pointless going up. While i was at the top of the hill (the bottom of the mountain) i stopped by the hot spring, it didnt impress me much as it presented itself as a heated swimming pool. I then decided to take a walk down the mountain road. At the top of town was a first nations museum, i paid the entrance fee and went in. After visiting the museum i took a walk down the road which lead to bow falls, this was mostly uphill, but i knew it would be down hill on the way back. After getting to the viewpoint and looking at the falls i headed back towards town. As i approached town it began to rain so i headed back to the hotel at a quicker pace. I ended up in the hotel bar for most of the afternoon talking to the barmaid and other servers. It turned out the barmaid was from Cornwall and she was telling me about her trip home to see her family. So after a few beers some Nachos and a combination of football and rugby on the bar TV at about 7pm all beered out i headed for my room. After some more surfing and TV i retired for the night.

Day Four - I woke at 6:30 ensured that everything was packed and headed for check-out, not as easy as you might think, as overnight it had snowed meaning i had to drag my suitcase through a few inches of snow to the lift to the lobby. I got to the lobby, checked out and waited in the lobby by the real fire for my transfer to the airport.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: