Lets blow this pop stand

Trip Start Dec 28, 2004
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Alaska
Tuesday, August 21, 2012

well my summer here in Alaska is finally over. i clocked out about 2 hours ago and have already showered twice, trying to wash the Alaskan funk off of me. i love my ritual of showering over and over again once i am finished with my working life here. its almost more a mental cleansing then a physical. though truth be told, the physical cleansing was in dire need to say the least. living in a tent and working in a kitchen is not exactly the best case scenario for clean living. I'm tired of being covered in grease and various condiments.

IM took a week and went to a sort of Buddhist retreat at the local temple. kinda gettin the old head together and doing lots of praying for good luck in the upcoming year.  the downside was there are no phones allowed when you are into so serious meditation so we were out of contact for a few days. now she is back and has gotten herself sick from sitting outdoors most of the nights for meditative purposes. crazy Buddhists. then again, look at some of the ideas and rituals that are being practiced at the church or mosque down the street from your house and you may see some pretty weird shit goin down. (here, eat the body of Christ and drink his blood....wtf).  I suppose normal is whatever weird and whacky custom you grew up with and was indoctrinated into.

I was in a damn fine mood last night as i walked up to my tent for the last time. i had one more day of work ahead of me and then freedom. no more slaving away, cooking for the same food over and over again in machine gun fashion.  this is enough to put a spring in mans step and a smile on his face.  as i approached my tent, something didn't look quite right and that's when i realized that an animal had mauled it while i was away at work. I'm assuming it wasn't a person since there were a few dollars and a pretty expensive sleeping bag left behind.  the tent survived for the most part but the rain fly was a total loss.  my last god damn night and my living quarters get totaled! i suppose its better for this to happen on the last day then on the first but come on man, would it have killed the moose/bear/attacking porcupine to leave my shit alone one more day?  fucking wildlife has no respect for today's outdoors-men. I'm buying a gun. i see myself as an avid fucking hunter after this......not really, but I'm still pretty steamed.

i got to work a little early today since i carried down my sleeping bag and what was left of my tent.  the new chef had also come in early and was turning everything on when he smelled gas. checking all of the usual places he came up empty and walked off the line to ask m if i knew where there may be a leak when out of nowhere "boooooooom".  i was two rooms and a hallway away from the kitchen and i felt the force of the explosion.  at first we didn't know what it was because it sounded like a very large object had fallen and made a tremendous noise.  a few seconds later we realized that the kitchen was on fire and that's when he rushed outside to turn off the main gas valve.  kitchen was saved and i was able to begin work on time.....yay.  really sort of an exciting ending to my time here in the big AK.

 said goodbye to all of my coworkers and it always surprises me how difficult it is. all summer long we are friends and then angry and then friends and then annoyed but when it comes time to leave....well I'm gonna miss some of these crazy fuckers up here. a lot of really nice people who can jump on my last nerve occasionally but shit, like that will disqualify you from friendship. so once again, i go from one set of friends back to another set and never shall the two meet. i live a dual personality sort of life. its like Jekyll and Hyde almost how different and independent my two lives are.

so now its off to Thailand. i have a ride this year all the way to anchorage so no need to hitch hike which is nice. hitching is not hard but it just adds a level of uncertainty to the whole day that i can happily do without.  i would make it to anchorage, just not sure exactly when. so ride to anchorage and then flight to Seattle where i have an 8 hour layover which would usually suck but my high school friend chad is driving all the way up from Portland Oregon to hang out for a few hours which is nice because we haven't seen each other for 3 years. sometimes it strikes me as unfair how life and choices pull us away from friends but i know he is immensely happy in his life in Oregon and i know I'm happy as a clam in Thailand so there is not much to do other then enjoy a few hours when we are afforded the opportunity.

well its off i go now. back on the road and back to Asia. back to my wife and back to my dog and back to my life. i have unpaused my life and i have re entered the world and just may enjoy a few things here and there now that i have time and am out of the kitchen.  keep reading and we'll see where this thing takes us

p.s. the one photo i uploaded to this post is actually a video so open it up and give it a lookie loo

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Chris George on

Neal, congrats on the end of another summer in Homer. I hope, as you do, that this will be your last summer there, and that you will be able to settle permanently in Thailand. My best to you and Im. Have fun in Bali.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: