And so it begins

Trip Start Dec 28, 2004
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Alaska
Monday, May 30, 2011

my last night in Thailand was spent with IM and mimi in a relatively small room in Bangkok.  we didn't do anything too special really. just had some street food for dinner and then curled up with each other and talked and relaxed.  IM wanted to wake up around 6am to go over to the mo-chit bus station to catch her bus up to Isaan so going to bed early would have been a good idea but being our last night together, neither of us could sleep that well.  

Im ended up falling asleep around 2am but i was still just enjoying having her in my arms one last time before we were separated for the summer.  at the foot of the bed, my laptop had gone into is screen saver mode which consisted of flipping through all of my photos and i realized that that portion of my life, of intrepid traveler was coming to a close and that the thing that really mattered to me was the girl wrapped in my arms.  it was a bit surreal watching my past life flash across the screen of my computer but the realization made me smile.

The next morning I carried IM's stuff downstairs and then grabbed Mimi and off to the bus station we went via taxi.  IM went and bought the ticket without a problem and then we went to the departure terminal to wait an hour and a half for the bus to leave.  Mimi was let out of her little carrier and she walked around the bustling station but stayed close to us.  it wasn't until about 10 minutes before IM's bus was scheduled to depart that one of the people working on the bus told IM that Mimi would not be permit ed onto the bus.  This was the usual time to pay the bribe but apparently this guy wasn't kidding and the dog was not going to be allowed up to isaan.  i went and talked to the driver and he was absolutely adamant that no dogs were allowed.  I even offered to buy an entire seat for Mimi but this too was unacceptable.  at this point IM started sobbing and as any man knows, there is nothing worse then having your girl crying.  I consoled her as i tried to find an alternate option, i mean her bus was leaving in 10 minutes so time was of the essence.

Luckily for us, a Thai bus station is like an airport with many different bus companies vying for business.  a representative from another company had overheard the commotion (by now it was a commotion what with the sobbing and gnashing of teeth) and offered to allow the dog on their companies bus.  Problem was solved and disaster averted and i could get on with the business of saying goodbye to my girl.  yes its only 3 1/2 months but its still quite a long time for us so it was a sad affair with tears spilt on both sides and with a final kiss, she climbed the steps with Mimi and that's the last i have seen of her.

I had an entire day to kill before i had to leave for the airport but i was pretty disheartened by the departure of my love so i just sort of moped about with no desire to go out into the depths of the city one last time before my flight.  I called IM from the airport, about an hour before my departure and she had arrived at her home (12 hour ride) and was relaxing with her family.  Mimi was quite the star apparently and had been eating for about 30 minutes straight which was funny and amazing at the same time.

I wont bore you with the details of my flights and layovers but I can sum it up by saying that it took about 40 hours to get to homer Alaska.  stop and think about that for a moment.  think about all that time cooped up in airliner seats and trapped under the fluorescent of various airports across the globe.  think about all of the security checks and bullshit that is part and parcel to airline sucked.  the only good part of the journey was my 12 hour layover in Korea.  yes it was a 12 hour layover but there were free showers and free wifi and just a really nice lounge area where you could get away from the bustling crowds and just relax for a bit.  if you get stuck for a long layover, Korea is the place for it.

I am now in Alaska.  the weather has been quasi decent with a few days of good warmth and sun.  today is actually the first day that it has been cold and rained the entire day so i cant complain too much.  my tent is set up on my usual hill overlooking the bay and the snow capped mountains so the view is great if not a bit isolated.  I constantly have moose near my tent which can cause a problem but they keep to themselves for the most part.  it takes a little getting used to the wildlife around here but it soon become just part of the background noise that surrounds you on a constant basis.

I Have been working for about 10 days now and its not too bad really.  i have decided to work 7 days a week for the length of my stay so i should be thoroughly tired come the end of June but these are the sacrifices i make.  I have been telling myself that i don't have to work that hard now because i make a decent income from diving as an instructor but now that i am here, i figure i might as well make as much cash as possible....i mean shit, I'm already here so why not?  I miss IM and Mimi alot.  i call them every other day and we talk quite a bit but its not the same.  its gonna be a long summer but hopefully its worth it



Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: