Rincon de la Vieja

Trip Start Apr 12, 2009
Trip End Jun 02, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Costa Rica  , Province of Guanacaste,
Monday, May 18, 2009

On Sunday we took then the bus from merida to Moyogalpa and afterwards the boat to San Jorge, taxi to Rivas, and bus to Peņas Blancas, in the border. There, we had to pay to go outside Nicaragua (twice) and walk till Costarrica with our bags a such a hot weather. Already in Costarrica and after having our passports stamped in both countries (in Nicaragua they do it when you exit the country, not the other way around!!!), we took a bus to Liberia. We came there at 18:00. We wanted to go to Rincon de la Vieja, a national park. We had heard there was no bus, and hostels were there very expensive (our only chance would have been to camp there, but we have no camptent, and just one sleep bag). My idea was to stay in LIberia and take maybe a bus in the morning (I asked and they told me that there should be buses at morning), but Amelia wanted to take a taxi and try to sleep there. So we did like that, we took a taxi for 10 dollars each, and we got at night to Rincon de la vieja lodge (as we didnīt know where to go we just said the taxi dirver he should go where he thought it was better, as the park has different entries and hostels, far away one from the other). When we came there we told the two men in the reception that we had no money (it was true, we had something like 40 dollars and there was no bank there). They told us the double room was 67 dollars. We asked them if we could sleep on the floor somewhere. They told us we could, but they were sorry that we had to sleep in such conditions on the floor, just with one sleepbag. So they let us stay in a room for 5 dollars each!!! Ja!! It was so great!! The room was sooo beautiful, and so cheap ; ) !!!
They told us the park was closed the day after. I couldnīt believe it!!! (they told it before saying 5 euro each, so I was thinking that we had come there, we had to pay so much for nothing!!), but one of the men said something like one could enter somewhere where there was no guard... So, the day after we said we were going to swim in the hostelpools, which were in the non-guarded entry for the park...and of course we entered it. A whole national park just for us!!! ji ji ji...
It was so great. First, we bath in some termal waters with green mud which smelled like too cooked eggs, awful...but nice. Then, we walk inside the park (sooo beautiful), we saw two javalis, and a carpenter bird, and we came in the mud pools (they werte not to swimm, they were like 106 or more degrees). It was like the yellowston park, they said. Really smelly but impresive (in my opinion). I took some videos that I will put here later.
It wa soo hot, imagine, the sun was so strong, and we were like in a pan, because of the volcano. Then we came again inside the forest (no more volcanic action, lukily). It was fresh again, and there was a river. As we were supposed to be alone, I just took aut my clothes and made a bath in the cold water of the river. We ate something and I got dressed. Just on time!! A man came who was cleaning the park!! Ufff!! I was adraid he would said something because we were there, but no  yupiii!!! He just asked if I was Ameliaīs mother!!! But are you stupid, blind or what??!!!
We kept on walking, so many kilometers to came to a waterfall. As it lacked just 4 kilometers we found a sign saying the way was closed. We were between trying anyhow to get there...or go to another waterfall. We were very tired and it was too hot to try to get there and then discover that it was no possible, so we decided to go to the other not so famous waterfall. I was angry and was complaining the whole path. Just till Amelia started saying that maybe we should stop (it was quite harf the way, alwways climbing, up the mountain, and we were walking already since 8 hours). Then I was afraid that we had to come back and I stopped complaining. Amelia said she didnīt want to go further and just went under a tree and layed down there. I told her I come back in 1 hour, the same I have got to the waterfall or not (it lacked 3 hours of sun, and a long way back to the hostel). I kept goping up, and sudenly the way stopped going up and after a while atarted going down very streight. And I came to the first waterfall. It was so nice, the river (thin) was making some small falls and then falling into the somewhere in the mountines I could not see from there, but I could see the mountines on the other side. Ok, hard for me to describe, but I have also a video. I climbed a little to make pictures and then continue to the second waterfall, the "real one", which was not at all impresive, but there was a lake where I made a bath before coming back to pick Amelia up. The poor had been eaten by some insects and she had the back like with sarampion for several days. Poor!!
As we wanted to exit the park (open from Tuesday till sunday, from 7.00 till 15:00, and it was monday at 18:00), the woman asked us for 10 dollars, which is the entry price. We said we thought it was fre (that was true) and we had taken no money (that was not so true ji ji). We went outside and 15 minutes later a car came, with a really nice family from Argentina, and took us to the hostel. Once there, we asked in the kitchen to buy some bread (they gave it to us for free) and we asked if they could cook some pasta that we had bought in the super. They also did it. They were so friendly : ) Two small girls should not die of hungry or cold, oder?? : )
The day after we climbed the volcano. Absolutely GREATTT!!!! But it is already 22:30 and I am in fact about to satr climbing another volcano in Panama, so I have to leave you and I will continue other day.
So finally I have time to continue... As I said, the day after we climbed the volcano. The first part was very light, a walk in the rain forest, long but very nice and not really climbing. We found some monkeys on the way, which mae pipi on Amelia (fortunatelly she realized and run before the pipi falled on her) and, not happy with that, they throw wathever on us. The bastards!! So we run away. As we were coming up to the volcano, the vegetation was changing, till we came otside the forest. From that point, the adventure began : ) The views were amazing: some volcanic mountains, other completely green, the fog, ...Incredible. And the best of all: we started to climb. In some parts, they had put a rope so that you could help you in climbing, because it was too steep. There was a small waterfall also there, hiden between two mountains. It was soo enjoyable!!! After some climbing up and down the mountains we came in the volcanic area and started walking in a narrow path between two lava rivers. And there, coming from one of the lava rivers and walking to the other, it was a monkey. What he was doing up there is a guess. He saw us, we were walking towards him (not because we wanted, it was also our way), so he took a stone (the bastard) and looked at us as saying :if you make one more step you are dead!!. So we just kept still and waited till he went out ouf our path towards one of the lava rivers. As we came up to the crater, it was too foggy to see, but the fog was coming and leaving, coming and leaving..so it was possible to se it. Again, I found it amazing. Maybe it was just, that I had not tought how the volcano could be, so I had not expectations, and I just found what I seen so beautiful...It was also my first climbing up to a mountain in this trip...and I enjoyed it therefore so much : ) !!!!
It was already too late, so we had to come down to take the bus to San Jose. We took another way to see something different, so we came down walking in an orange and black river of lava. It was quite tricky also this way..what it means, we had so much fun!! Then he had to run all the way in the forest till the park exit, ask some people (a very nice couple from holland who had decided to make hollidays in Costarrica becouse they love horse riding...I didnīt know CR was a famous for that)), and then make autostop till the bus stop to Liberia (but we were licky and found somebody that in  fact took us to Liberia). There, I called Lala, a friend of Marilu, my "geliebte" cousin (:)) and she told us she was going to san Jose, and we could come with her. We went to her house, and her mother gave us so many fruits, cakes tipical from their city (Philadelphia), juice... After two days of quite a lack of food in Rincon de la Vieja, we just devored it... it was such a pleasure to eat...and above all, to eat fruits ; ).
At night we came to San Jose, to my cousinīs house (Idoia), and I saw for first time my "cousin-nephew" Diego : ) : ) : )
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: