Back Home to Sydney - Reality Check and Broke
Trip Start Jul 21, 2005
14Trip End Jan 12, 2006
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
(Jan 12 - ???)
It was kind of surreal landing in Sydney on the morning of the 12th. (I wish i had made my flights so i could have some time in Hawaii but oh well).
The weather was overcast and my flight 30mins early. I walked straight through customs and my bro was late picking me up, but that was all good... We went to Cafe Paris at Bondi for breakfast. So good.
Surprising my parents that night was awesome. My brother and I had planned to have my parents around to he and his wife's place for dinner that night and when they arrived i slipped out the back door and went back to the garden shed. He led them over to the shed a few minutes later talking about a story that the landlord had finally said yes to him having a dog and how he been up to the breader at riverstone... (where we got our parents dog)... and then he started to open the door and then said "just kidding" and they all started laughing as you do - cause my brother is the biggest prankster - and as they turned around i jumped out of the shed. The look on my parents faces was priceless and all night mum kept looking at me just to make sure she wasnt dreaming. The first thing she could say was, "i was soo looking forward to meeting you at the airport..." Anyways... Mum got over it...
I spent the next couple of days surprising my friends and family who were like "what the heck are you doing home?"
So since i have been home, i have spent a lot of time doing stuff for my youth groups summercamps and catching up with friends and spending money i dont have to spend. I have been playing (ice) hockey at the ice arena in norwest (baulkham hills) and have managed to get a job there doing a few hours a week - which should save me a lot of money with all teh kickbacks i get for working there. I am doing a general education course at uni for the summer session as i am half a subject behind after exchange.
Things i miss from Canada:
- (Ice) Hockey on tv all the time - i have to download all the games here
- My friends from Queens
- Scharmas (i think thats how you spell it) - a lebanese food that is like a kebab but has this awesome garlic paste in it
- Not having to think about petrol prices as i wasnt driving anywhere.
- North American pizza - so much better than aussie pizza.
- Being able to the gym and workout, and skate everyday for free if i wanted!
Things i dont miss:
- Cheese - american cheeder is gross and really expensive - $6 for 350g
- The weather - snow is great when you are going to it for a week or two- but yeh - it sucks to live in permanently.
- Having to cook for myself! (i love you mum)
- Living in a city with 7 prisons! (of course all their family move there to visit their loved ones in prison - i never had any problems thou. But some druggy got murdered about 5 doors down from me.first thing i knew about it was some reporter knocking on my door wanting an interview - of which i obliged. (my second time on local tv in kingston!)
- "trial by fire" teaching methods at university (i only had 3 full subjects abnd 2 randoms so it wasnt too bad)
There is heaps more stuff for and against but i just cant think of it now...
The only thing that matters is we live in the most beautiful city on earth!
Its good to be home!