Allborg, Denmark

Trip Start Jul 21, 2005
Trip End Jan 12, 2006

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Denmark  ,
Tuesday, August 2, 2005

Update 2: Aalborg, Denmark. AUG 02 - AUG 05

Well Denmark was rather interesting for the few days i was there. i arrived at Aalborg in North Jutland (the westmost and largest island of denmark) around midday on tuesday 2AUG. I had barely any sleep during the flights and having been up since the previous morning i was so tired that i was in a 'whatever' mood. i was rather releaved to see my friend Rachel at the airport and when i found out the airlines had lost my bags along the way i was like 'yeh whatever' - if they lost it for more than 24 hours then i got to go on a shopping spree for clothes for like $700 at the expense of my travel insurance company. it was great her being there as she was able to give an address and contact number so the airline could deliver it to me later when they found it.
anyways...i had my first taste of driving on the wrong side of the road. its funny though i dont know whether it was because i was tired but i didnt think it was too abnormal and i think i was more scared on the roads in South Africa! well, i went and saw rachels place, a little flat in a small village about 30-40mins out of town. i got a great view of the country side on the way out there. They have sooo many of those windmill things that generate power every. (I even saw a line of like 20 of them in the sea when i was flying into copenhagen). S
Anyways Rach said that we were going to go to a salt pool - i must admit i wasn't that excited when i looked at the weather and though of swimming - but we headed to a local op-shop to buy a pair of shorts that i could use to swim in.
Before we went to the salt pool, what would a trip to Denmark be without a little horse riding. (For those of you who know Rach it would come as no suprise.) so i did a little bit of bareback riding on a horse that was a little physco. As rach made the horse do the circle things, the horse wasnt being very cooperative and it decided it was going to buck a bit but yer, i held on tight to the horses maine (i think thats what you call it).
well we got to the salt pool - Danish Salt Centre - and much to my suprise it was indoors and it was more of a spa than a pool, actually it was more of a sauna. The water was warm - like 38-40 degrees - and cause of the salt you really needed a bottle of fresh water. it was supposed to be a copy of the dead sea - it was 30% salt and you certainly couldnt sink if i tried. it was such a cool experience. We stayed in for about 30mins and that was certainly enough and then going into the showers it took ages to get all the salt off your body.
That afternoon we headed into the city to where i would be staying at Rach's brothers place. It was great; a 3rd or 4th floor apartment right in the centre of town. Rach at this point had to head down to Copenhagen for something that had been aranged months ago and wouldnt be back before i was gone. by this time i was sooo tired, still didnt have my bags but i soon recieved those and it was nice to be able get some clean clothes on the weirdest thing about being there was how late it was when it got dark - 10.30pm. A far cry from the 6pm in south africa where i was - my body had a little trouble adjusting to this.
well simon (Rach's brother) and his flat mate, rene, were great. Rene wasnt working so he toook me around the city for the first day i was there. we walked all over and headed up to the Aalborg tower which sat over 100m above the city. It was a great view from the top and we sat up there for a while and it was quite weird feeling it rock in the wind.
The next day Rene and i decided we would go out to a nearby island called Egholm. We caught the ferry out there and decided we would take the longest walk around the island being 8.8km. Well it was fairly nice except for the weather where it was raining one minute and perfect blue skies the next. When we got about 3/4 of the way around the island, the path ran out where it became a bit of cross country to get back. By the time we got back, 2 1/2 hours later, we were a little fed up with walking but still had to walk 2k's back to town from the ferry. My feet were so sore, and later found out that because of this i bruised a bone in my right foot which has been very painful even a week later. We were so hungry by this time and we stoped at a steakhouse where we splurged abit and had a great meal.
on friday it was time to go to the airport and i must admit i was a little disapointed when i got downstairs to find out my taxi wasnt a mercedes-benz but a BMW 540 with leather seats and sunroof...i really got a raw deal...
anyways off to England!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: