London in Two Days!

Trip Start Oct 21, 2006
Trip End Jan 07, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United Kingdom  ,
Friday, November 24, 2006

After one of the longest times we had gone without flying, the flight from Greece to London was a long one! By the time we arrived in London and made it to our hotel, around 2pm, we quickly went out to try to fit as much in as possible. We went to the Natural History Museum because Ral didn't want to see any more art. It was pretty  good and really massive. They have heaps of dinosaur skeletons and animated dinosaurs which is about all Ral wanted to see. It was really cold compared to Greece and they had Christmas stalls outside the museum with made everything really Christmassy. We then caught the underground to Harrods to have a look around for some presents and Christmas was everywhere there too, they even had a Santa's Village on one of the floors. After dinner we went down to Trafalgar Square and the National Gallery (i went inside, Ral decided to skip this one). Even though we were buggered we decided to try for some night shots of Tower Bridge, so we caught the subway down there and walked across London Bridge to get a shot (worth it i think). Back to our tiny room for a good sleep, we had a big day tomorrow!
We got up early today and took our chances that they changing of the guards might be on today (its only on every second day during winter) and as we approached Buckingham i suspected that it was today by the thousands of people waiting by the gates. We found a decent spot and watched the procession before heading through St James Park. It is a beautiful and huge park and Ral found some peanuts which he decided to feed to one of the squirrels that were running around. Luckily this story ended happily because they must have been used to people doing this (unlike the otters at the zoo). We kept walking through the Horse Guards area to the square around the Houses of Parliament and Westminster. We got some lunch and walked along the bank to the London Eye. Because it was really overcast and there were heaps of people waiting, we decided to skip the ride in the London Eye and went our own way or a while. I went to the Dali Universe exhibition and Ral went on a tour of HMAS Belfast. We met up at the TATE modern gallery about half way, then walked the rest of the way through the city to get some dinner and go back to Harrods for somethings i forgot to get. As you might have suspected be tried to do the whole day today without trains, and actually ended up walking about 25kms. Not looking forward to getting up for our early flight to Amsterdam!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: