In search of wild animals

Trip Start Oct 03, 2009
Trip End Feb 28, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Malaysia  , Sabah,
Sunday, December 6, 2009

I have my booking at Uncle Tan's. I have to get there for 2.30 or I might miss the transport to the camp. As I came down the steps of the hostel in KK I found the street transformed into a market. I had forgotten that this happens every Sunday. No tourists about at 7 am so the people were going about their business. I boarded the bus to take me to Sandakan or to be more precise to the crossroads at the14 milestone. Once again we passed through some very nice forest scenery on the way before the dreaded oil palms could be seen for miles and miles. 

From the crossroads I had to walk a short distance to the office at Uncle Tan's and was pleasantly surprised to be offered lunch on arrival. This place is named afet the Malaysian who set up the organisation.
 At 230 all the gear was loaded into the minivan and we set off for the camp by the river. After an hour (delay due to road accident) we turned off themain  road and travelled through the palm oil plantations on very bad roads for about 45 mins after which we arrived at the jetty. Change of transport for a short river trip to the camp.

The original camp was set up in the 1970's but I think about 10 years ago it was moved to its present location. It accommodates 50 people in huts spread around amongst the trees. The huts only have 3 sides and a small verandah at the front. On the floor are 3 double matresses on which we sleep,  each with a mosquito net so each hut could accomodate up to 6 people. In my hut there were only 3 of us so we were in relative comfort. The toilet block was some distance away. No flush but there were water tanks with brownish river water in them and a bucket which you used to to flush.For face washing there were different tanks with clean water and a smaall tap so  new washing techniques were called for. Electicity was from a generator which ran from 6pm for about 4 hours so torches were essential. This was to be home for the next 2 days.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: