Trains All Night Long

Trip Start Sep 20, 2010
Trip End Oct 26, 2010

Loading Map
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Red Rock Park

Flag of United States  , New Mexico
Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Sitting on a patio in the warm morning air, eating breakfast, Nancy nearly jumped out of her seat when a vehicle drove by towing a hot air balloon basket.  She watched as the vehicle stopped and a couple got out and entered the restaurant where we were sitting.  Moments later a wide-eyed Nancy came dancing back to the table.  She had gone inside and found the couple and asked them about their ride.  Excited she recounted their tale.  The balloons, five of them, ascended at sunrise and sailed quietly through the nearby canyons and along the sunlit red rocks.  After the ride they were treated with champagne and fruit . . . OMG . . . there was no stopping her now.  Phone number in hand we finished breakfast and went back to the room to call, the line was busy, she found a local number on line and tried that one, busy.  Over and over she dialed to no avail, busy.  We decided to spend another night if we could get a ride in the morning.  Busy, busy, busy, so reluctantly we checked out thinking that if we got through later we could always get another room.  Alas, the hotel receptionist got through and found they were already booked for the next day.  Heavy sigh.  But wait, we do have to come back this way after visiting Santa Fe . . . stay tuned.

Leaving Sedona and the gorgeous scenery behind, we drove across eastern Arizona with unremarkable landscape as far as we could see, bringing to mind our journey across the middle of west Texas only without the oil wells.

Our goal was to make it into New Mexico which we did. Gallup, 20 miles from the New Mexico, border and spread out like a ribbon across the desert rimmed by railroad tracks, more about that in a minute.

For tonight we found a city park at the base of an enormous red rock thus it's name "Red Rock Park.  It was a strange little park, mostly sand, a few trees, a few motor homes but not a soul in sight.  The office was closed with no direction so we drove to one of the motor homes, one from Washington state no less.   The owner had also just pulled in for the night and had been told by one of the other tenants to just pick a site someone would be around between 6 and 9 p.m. to collect and hand out keys to the restroom, so no restroom available for possibly 4 hours hmmmm.  We have found that in such arid country our bodies retain most of the liquids we take in, a good thing in this case.

We settled in and soon after dark the trains began to rumble by, long, long trains across the flat desert floor.  They rumbled through all night long.  
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: