Hurry up and wait

Trip Start Oct 23, 2011
Trip End Nov 12, 2011

Loading Map
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Linda Hotel Slot 1 C12 3/2 Street, Rach Gia, Rach Gia (Kien Giang), Vietnam

Flag of Vietnam  , Kiến Giang,
Monday, October 31, 2011

If nothing else is said about this group we are prompt, a 4:00 a.m. wake up and everyone was packed and assembled in the lobby at the appointed time.  We arrived at the airport only to find that we were not on the manifest for the 6:30 a.m. flight . . . the only flight of the day to Rach Gia.

Our intrepid leader spent hours straightening things out and tracking down exactly what had gone wrong finally getting us on a 10:45 a.m. flight to Phu Quoc where we could pick up the 12:30 p.m. flight to Rach Gia, both fairly short flights but a day of waiting here and waiting there.  Everyone was good humored which speaks well of the group and we did have a chance to get a little better acquainted.  Poor Julie and Alicia had to bear the brunt of this unfortunate mix up.



Our two flights were uneventful and we did get a sneak peak at the island of Phu Quoc where we would spend next weekend. 

Finally, about 5 p.m. we checked into the Hotel Linda, our home for the duration of the build, it was nothing fancy but appeared clean; we later learn that first impressions can be deceiving. 

We were expected to attend a dinner with representatives from the Habitat Affiliate at 7 p.m. and while the spirit was willing the body just wanted to sleep.

There will be more about our hotels later for now though I can say that the hotel was well situated, near a grocery store, internet and lots of restaurants within walking distance and we would come to find that was all we needed after a hard day of work.  

After the long day and we walked to a restaurant on the river for dinner, the street was lined with bars, loud music and a most unexpected sight . . . a young lady rode by on her bicycle, smiling and completed naked . . . I was assured this was as unusual as I thought it was. I could barely stay awake through dinner.  During dinner it began to rain and lightening danced between the clouds.  A few of us decided to forego the taxi and just walk back to the hotel, excusing ourselves early.  The riverside street was full of what seemed like a lot of night life for a Tuesday in Rach Gia but then we were new in town.

We all stumbled into bed hoping for a restful night's sleep - work begins tomorrow.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: