World cruise 2013

Trip Start Jan 04, 2013
Trip End May 01, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Sri Lanka  , Western,
Tuesday, April 2, 2013

We arrived at Colombo, Sri Lanka on the 78th day at the commercial port because an Iranian Navy Ship took our space at the town pier. They were not far away from each other, but here again there was no shuttle into the city and we had to either take a tour or walk to the entrance of the town, which was about 1 mile away. We chose to walk and get a taxi to take us to a few of the highlights of this city. After negotiating with the driver we went to a Buddhist Temple were we took off our shoes and tried to step carefully. There were many beautiful statues of ceramic, but again we notice many Hindu gods in this temple, a baby elephant was in the courtyard with an attendant to clean and keep the animal fed. The next Temple was a very gaudy Hindu Temple that charged us $5.00 to take pictures of the temple and the multiple shrines throughout the temple area. We then rode along the seashore and saw many beautiful beaches and were surprised that being Sunday there were so few people on the beach.

We passed along a lake with a small temple on one side and a suspension bridge to a small island where under a large tree with low hanging branches were many couples hugging and kissing each other. Here again no matter where you go things are the same.

Our last stop was at a Catholic Church close to the port Saint Anthony Saint Anthony was prominently displayed in the church and there were a number of faithful present praying and burning candles and incense throughout the church. There was even a museum on a second floor, but we did not have time to visit. No Wi Fi was available today so we went to the port where a number of kiosks were set up selling everything from jewelry, watches, clothing, and many, many knickknacks.

Back aboard we prepared for the 1700 miles to the Seychelles while writing this the Captain said over the ship's loud speaker system that we will have a drill tomorrow to prepare us for a pirate attack. The crew put up razor wire along the promenade deck, sound devises to prevent an attack and high pressure hoses, along with the drill tomorrow to tell us what to do.

The drill said we had to leave our cabins and take cover behind steel compartments, but we were in the gym. One of the attendants closed all the shades but didn’t ask us to leave so we continued to work out and after 15 minutes the drill was over and everyone went about their daily chores.

The next day was another formal and we received another gift from the HAL, it was a pillow that contained a blanket with a fleece side. I guess it could be useful on a cold winter night.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: