Trip Start Jan 04, 2013
Trip End May 01, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Tasmania,
Tuesday, February 19, 2013

We arrived in the harbor to dock in Hobart, Tasmania about 7AM and I got up early to take a number of pictures on the way into our berth. Mary Ann insisted on having breakfast in our room because we had an early tour so we wouldn't have to rush. Gathering in the Oceans Lounge we received our info on the bus and meeting place, then down the stairs to the gangway and onto the waiting bus.  The drive through the city was slow due to traffic that favors the cars coming into the city, so our lights were longer and we had fewer lanes to use. The 1830’s era Sandstone warehouses were the first things we saw on leaving the dock, they were converted to shops galleries restaurants, and night spots. Hobart was another penal colony and the oldest building is where the gun emplacements were kept and dated from 1818. There are the usual churches, museums and botanical gardens only these have information on the longest living native people in the world over 50,000 years ago. Hobart is situated on the Derwent River at the foot of Mount Wellington. It is the termination of one of the toughest yacht races in the world, the Sidney to Hobart yacht race held each January and goes through the roaring forties a very rough area of the Tasman Sea.

We wound our way through the city over the surrounding hills to Richmond a small town about 30 minutes away. The Georgian style buildings were built from fine local sandstone Australia’s oldest jail is the center of town, and the nations oldest bridge spans the Coal River. Across the river, a thicket of English trees shade Australia’s oldest Catholic Church (1836). Mary Ann and I walked all over this very pleasant town and down to the river to watch the many water birds. Then we walked to the jail, but we didn’t time for the tour so we took a few pictures and had to return to the bus for our trip to Bonorong Wildlife Park. The Park was about another 30 minutes away and we went through rolling fields of grain, arriving we were told that the park is a sanctuary for these animals mainly marsupials. The path  we took went through fields of kangaroos and we were able to hand feed them with their food that we carried with us. There was a lot of poop all around and we tried to place our feet carefully on good dirt only. Then we went to an enclosure where the Tasmanian Devils are kept, and since they are nocturnal we had to look long and hard. Finally Mary Ann spotted one on the other side of the enclosure and we waited patiently and our wait paid off, because he came our way and we took a number of pictures of the beast. They are endangered due to people and a facial cancer that is transmitted when they bite each other, and they are always biting so the disease is being rapidly transmitted through the population. We did not see any other marsupials, but considered ourselves lucky. Back on the bus we returned to the ship and I was going to go out to get a hair cut, but our guide on the bus gave us directions which seemed a long way to go. So I opted to get a hair cut in Adelaide our next stop. 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Rodger Bubb on

You know Nando if you had an I-phone you could have your Pics go to the cloud and then look at them on your I-pad

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: