Puerto Egas and Isla Rabida

Trip Start Apr 03, 2008
Trip End Apr 27, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Ecuador  ,
Thursday, April 24, 2008

Great walk this morning at Puerto Egas.  This is the site of a former salt plant and fish cannery.  There are still a few skeletons of buildings and a soccer field for the crew (they had a game while we walked), but mostly it is about a beautiful hike through green fields and lava beds.  The weather was ideal - warm, partly sunny, nice cool breeze all day.  We didn't see anything new, but got a good look at a beautiful yellow crowned night heron.  Small, pink flowers were blooming everywhere with yellow butterflies.

After the walk (we covered 2 miles in 3 hours) the boat moved to Rabida and we had a four hour break.  During that time Ben gave us departure instructions for Friday.

At 2 PM we snorkeled at Rabida and it was perfect except a bit cool.  Most snorkelers wear 3mm wet suits.  Some wear gloves and swimming caps for sunburn and jelly fish stings.  Well, I don't like my wet suit so, like usual, I swam in my swimming suit and long-sleeved swimming shirt.  This time that was a mistake.  When we got done it took me about an hour to warm up and for my fingers to stop tingling.

Anyhow, we had sharks and sea lions, lots of beautiful fish and turtles.  Visibility was great and at the end was a gorgeous red sand beach in a hidden cove.  After 1:45 most of us were ready to go, but Lori and Ron were having a blast with a playful sea lion so we gave them 20 more minutes while 7 of us joked and had fun in the Zodiac.  It was good.

Soon after that we went on a sunset hike up a mild hill.  It was quite beautiful.  The soil was red, the plants very green and flowering, and Richard and I sang Mockingbird Hill.  Great way to end.  But there's more.  At 7 PM we had a cocktail wrap-up ceremony, then dinner (pork) and a great big cake.  Ben gave a short talk - really it was funny pictures of animals and one serious picture of a one-of-a-kind yellow-footed booby.

Everyone headed to their rooms to pack and go to bed but we called home.  We made final pick-up arrangements with my mom and said hi to the kids.  Mom gave us sobering news that a neighbor and her daughter were in a car accident in which their two closest friends were killed.  I'm having a hard time digesting that one.  Life is so fragile.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: