Genovesa Island

Trip Start Apr 03, 2008
Trip End Apr 27, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Ecuador  , Galapagos Islands,
Sunday, April 13, 2008

Our cabin, #3, is on the lower level, port side.  For this morning that meant we could see the sunrise over Genovesa through our porthole.  But this time we didn't really want to see sunrise.  Jeff and I had a rough night because the Air Conditioner in our room was broken.  It blew warm air all night and was even noisey about it.  At about 2 AM we shut it off and opened the hallway door - that took care of the sweltering heat but didn't fix the sleep problem.

Breakfast was a nice buffet at 6:30 and around 7 we took the zodiacs ashore.  It was a "wet landing," meaning you got out at the beach in shallow water.  Right away we saw Frigatebirds, Red Footed Boobies (they stand on trees with webbed feet - very silly technique), Nazca Boobies (beautiful birds with boring feet) and gulls.  The Frigatebirds are mating so it is most common to see the males with their red throat sacks completely inflated and raising a fuss about every female that flies by.

Our pace was excruciatingly slow.  It certainly wasn't about covering distance; in 3 hours we went about 2 miles at the most.  We saw all ages and both sexes of all the birds.  We also saw several sea lions as close as 5 feet away and a couple of times we saw pups nursing.  Sally Lightfoot Crabs were everywhere and there didn't seem to be any insects.

We returned at 10 and suited up for snorkeling.  The water was about 80 degrees but we all wore shorties except Tommy who went in t-shirt and shorts.  The water was a little murky but the variety of fish was about as good as any we saw in Maui and much better than at Nassau.  The hour of snorkeling flew by and then it was time for lunch.

During the siesta Jeff and I kayaked in a double sit-on-top.  The island is the rim of a caldera with one side opening to the ocean so there was lots of calm water to kayak in.

The afternoon hike was a dry landing (you step out of the boat onto a rock) and on higher ground than the morning beach but it was pretty much the same animals.  Two things we added were a Short-eared Owl and a few Waved Albatross.  Dinner was delicious; chicken and rice.  Ben gave a brief introductory lecture, Tommy outlined the next day and we hit the sack by 9 PM.  Any time we had a break Jeff would work on his camera.  It spontaneously shuts off.  He was able to, with the help of other photographers on the boat, change the nature of the problem but not fix it.

Our air conditioning was fixed and my bug bites are starting to calm down so sleeping was loads better!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: