Midnight at the Oasis

Trip Start Aug 30, 2009
Trip End Mar 01, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Hotel Curasi

Flag of Peru  ,
Saturday, September 26, 2009

After a few days of grey skies and chilly wandering around Lima we decided to pack our bags and head south to an oasis in the desert that some other backpackers in Lima were talking about. We decided to mark our last day in Lima by drinking too much and hanging around with locals in sandwich bars. This meant that I didnīt quite enjoy our bus trip down the coast as much as Nadine as I was unable to eat... The bus we used however was extremely nice - cost about a thousand times as much as the bus that the locals use but obviosuly worth every penny (check out the photo). Our first night we spent in a hostel / hotel recommended by the Lonely Planet so clearly the prices reflected this and we moved out after our first night to a hotel with a bigger pool and which was half the price! There are a bunch of photos of this somewhere I think. You can see the sand dunes which surround the oasis which is a little lake in the middle of all the shops and hotels. We discovered a great English cafe in the oasis and went back for full english breakfasts (me) and fruit salads (nadine) quite a few times. We spent around 6 days in theoasis in total - most people who visit spend just one day and whizz off to go sandboarding on the sanddunes. We however are lazy travellers so it took us 5 days to decide to go sandboarding. This was Nadineīs birthday treat, and as an extra special treat I broke her camera by holding it out in front of me whilst sandboarding down a huge dune head first. In hindsight I guess I could have guessed it would fill up with sand and conk out. Luckily, the video remained intact and Iīll try and upload it sometime soon. The dune buggy we went up into the dunes in was crazy - you can see the size of the engine in the pictures - 8 cyclinder 300hp Iīm informed and it felt like it too plunging around the dunes. Nadine was very sick when we got off so that was entertaining to watch. After 5 days of sitting around in the sun we realised we ought to do something cultural and booked a bus down to see the Nasca Lines - see the next blog entry......
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: