Trip Start Feb 02, 2011
Trip End Aug 03, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Bush Camp

Flag of Tanzania  ,
Tuesday, March 8, 2011

After seeing so much in the crater we didn't think the afternoon could get much better but it did! On the drive we chatted to our driver Robert who was a Masai warrior. He told us a lot about their customs and about how the young teenage boys get circumcised then have to pass an initiation to become a warrior. Years ago they had to kill a lion but now they usually have to herd cattle from one town to another miles away.  Just after we saw 3 boys who were currently doing their initiation. Instead of the usual red and blue outfits they were dressed all in black with feather headress and white paintings on their faces. Very cool to see!
At the Serengeti, before we went through the main gate, we stopped for a pit stop and some of us went to the gift shop and right behind were a couple if massive elephants!

We got back into the jeep, opened the roof and then saw a big group of elephants and babies amongst the trees and knocking down the smaller trees that got in their way!

The scenery around us was stunning, we seemed to be in a tiny pocket of sun, surrounded by the animals on vast plains and all around us we could see heavy black clouds and storms, it made everything look so dramatic.

On our way to our bush camp we had another elephant encounter. A big group were coming towards us across the plain trying to cross the road. As we stopped a bull stopped a couple of meters from the jeep to let us take some photo's and to check us out.

When we got to camp our tents were already set up so we grabbed a hot chocolate then went to watch the stunning sunset. After dinner we all grabbed an early night. Through the night we could hear the elephants talking to each other - really cool!

No animals in the camp unfortunately so we had another early breakfast then our next game drive.

As we left camp we saw some more giraffes, hippos, crocodile, impala, baboons and plenty of zebra. We found a group of lions chilling in the long grass but moved on as they weren't very easy to see. Next we saw some Zebras drinking from a stream, as we watched the Zebras, our guide Robert, said they seemed very skittish and he thought some more lions could be around. The Zebras are currently migrating so there were tons of them. As we waited in the distance we saw a lion approaching through the long grass with his eyes fixed on his dinner (which was very nearly Krystle in her black and white striped top) another lion was spotted in another area as they tried to surround the Zebra. Suddenly one of the lions jumped out of the bushes to attack the Zebras. Unfortunately the other lion didn't join in so they got away and all of a sudden Krystle was looking even more tasty. We all turned round to see another lion right next to the truck, coming past us to join the others.  It was so incredible to see the animals acting so naturally. We were all buzzing after that and were determined to find the Leopard which was one of the last cats for us to see.

The next bit of interest was a mass of Impala spread across the road. One male was looking after all these females and in the distance were a group of bucks. As we drove through the herd  of the females started to run towards the bucks. The big male ran ahead and herded them back into the pack and then went and fronted the other males making them scarper!

As we carried on Robert spotted a tail hanging from a branch in a tree, could it be the elusive Leopard?  Yes it was, but not only a Leopard but a couple of babies too!

Next we passed a group of people having a Champagne lunch while they waited for their hot air balloons to fill up. Alongside were some toilet tent but as we went past we saw that they were open on one side so as we drove we were just in time to see a big lady get up and pull up some bigger pants, so I couldn't resist giving her a wave, funny thing is she actually waved back.

Far too much excitement for one day so we headed out but found next to the road another couple of Lions resting under the tree. On the other side of the road there happened to be a lonely Impala. As we were taking photo's one of the lions got up and came towards our jeep. We hadn't thought about closing our windows so poor Anita was suddenly face to face with a lion. Luckily the lion turned away and walked along the road next to the jeep, before deciding to use the jeep as cover so he could plan his dinner attack. We couldn't stop and wait as we had to head off to get our picnic lunch. Then we had to face the long 5 hour journey back to Snake Camp, on the way we had lots of waves from local kids including a naked boy waving his willy at us!

When we got back to camp we met up with those who hadn't been to the Serengeti. We had time before dinner to have a look around Snake Park so went to their reptile park and had a look at the snakes and crocodiles. After dinner and a few drinks we headed to bed still buzzing from our day!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: