Minneapolis/Fourth of July

Trip Start Jun 27, 2009
Trip End Aug 07, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Minnesota
Saturday, July 4, 2009

So Jen and I went into Minneapolis around 11am today, taking their very efficient light rail from the Mall of America. We got off in what is called the Warehouse District, which is the sort of 'downtown' of the city. It has tons of shops, restaurants, museums, etc....which were all closed because it was the 4th of July. IT WAS A GHOST TOWN. I'm not kidding when I say that Des Moines had more cars on the road.

To add insult to injury, it was about 85 degrees and 1,000,000 percent humidity.

We spent about 30 minutes struggling to find a coffee place, because caffeine is very important to us. Then we headed over to what our guide book told us was a beautiful park. The only beautiful thing were the squirrels (see pictures).

Across an interstate we found Minneapolis' Sculpture Garden. It was kinda neat, boasting some awesome works of art including a giant cherry on a spoon. A festival was also going on with live music and hoola hoop competitions. Fun!

Then...we made the long trek to the other side of the city, which was about 2.5 miles. We stopped for lunch at a British Pub, and continued on to the Mississippi River Heritage Walk. This was going to be awesome....except it began to downpour.

Jen and I were trapped under a bridge on the Mississippi for about 30 minutes. Exciting.

Up until this point I was rather bummed. But things would get better. Once the rain let up we headed down the River Walk and found some really awesome sights including the ruined mill district, stone arch bridge, and old factories.

Once on the other side of the river we watched as street vendors set up for the festival and fireworks which would take place later.

We found the BEST spot to watch the fireworks from. It was a picnic table hidden at the front of an island in the middle of the river. However, it was only 5pm...and the fireworks were not going to start until about 10. So we decided to go eat dinner and come back.

When we returned at 6...our table had been STOLEN! So we instead settled on a bench nearby and waited about 4 hrs for the fireworks to start. The show was good, but not great. Parsippany's still beat everything I've seen.

We took the incredibly crowded light rail back to our hotel, and that is where I am presently...writing this journal.

Tomorrow we're off to North Dakota for two days, followed by Montana for three. Internet access might be sparse so be patient! Talk to you later.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: