Berlin-Current Capital ofGermany Cold War Era Wall
Trip Start Mar 10, 2014
7Trip End Mar 21, 2014
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Then we went to Brandenburg Gate which was the former division between East and West Berlin. Remember that after WWII, West Berlin was an island or enclave in the middle of Soviet East Germany. I stood near the spot where Ronald Reagan made his famous speech as so many of you mentioned in your essays, and recreated the speech for your viewing pleasure.
Then we visited parts of the wall that are still standing and covered with artwork for the sole purpose of preserving the wall so that people will not forget.
Tomorrow we are going to tour a WWII Bunker and learn about the daily lives of people during WWII
I bought a piece of the Berlin Wall today that one of you lucky students will win!
Official Schoology Questions
1. How many miles was the wall?
2. What is Checkpoint Charlie? And why is it important? (great question submitted by EB)
3. What is the East Side Gallery? Why is it important?
4. What US president said,"Ich Bin ein berliner"? When? Why?
5. What is "brain drain" and how does it apply to the Wall?
AP Only also: Some information in graphics about Germany and its distribution of wealth. Based on the information in this article, do you think it is cheaper or more expensive to live in Berlin than Munich? Why?