So this is Christmas

Trip Start Apr 17, 2005
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  ,
Monday, April 25, 2005

Here i am!

Ive made it to Florida at last. I ended up spending 97 hours and 20 minutes total on the trains including transfers! It was great though, looking back on it i would recommend it to anyone wanting to see America in both travel agent brochure style as well as seeing the grotty/dodgy side of the US also (train lines aren't usually built in the best suburbs).

After departing a cold and wet Chicago i travelled over night with a Kiwi girl doing a world tour including the trans-siberian railway! (insert green jealous eyes here) We went through Pensylvania and West Virginia. Following a river in the mountains in Pensylvania was very cool to see and reminded me of blair witch style country.

The journey from Washington DC to Florida went buy very quickly. Passing through north and south Carolina and other states i cant remember. I met some great people on the train. The first guy was Tony, he was from the Bronx and kind of a white black guy if you know what i mean but he was cool. Remember in Alberquerque i was telling you about the expensive dinner car? Well Tony saw me pigging out on my usual 2 minute noodles (i wasn't far from beginning to understand what the Chinese writing on the side of the packet was saying as i was eating them so much. It was probably saying something like "dont eat lots may cause many shit")

Well Tony saw me and said he would shout me dinner that night, i declined until i saw the wad of cash he had in his pocket so i thought what the hell. At 5pm Tony and i was having silver service, eating Atlantic Salmon while drinking many-a-vodka and cranberry. After a few hours we moved into the bar car (the other train didn't have one of these) We met Danny, Danny Junior and Mike who were from Phillidelphia (philly as they called it) We then proceeded to get very pissed and have a great laugh. I slept that night in the bar car so i could stretch out.

Last Friday (today is monday) the train finally pulled up to Ft Lauderdale 3 and a half hours late at 7.05pm. I grabbed all my stuff and walked up the platform with a slight hangover and met up with Jeff. We got into the jeep and went to the boat. I was feeling good about the whole situation.

That night i took a much needed shower (first one since leaving Aus a week ago so i was feeling and smelling a little dodgy) My accommodation in LA consisted of a floor in Los Angeles Airport but that's another story.

Over the last 3 days we have been working on the boat, painting the deck and putting in the bedding/ropes/sails etc. I am sleeping on the boat at the moment which is fine, we have had a bbq every night since i got here which consists of a metal drum but it does the job. My accommodation here doesn't fall into the 'star' category it is more like the '3rd world' level but its all good. Our shower is a hose pipe and our knives and forks are our hands. No complaining though im happy all is well. We are looking to depart a week or so today. Ryan, our other crew member has pulled out - gone to chill in san francisco for a while according to him but we have a new guy on board, steve.

Until next time take it easy people.. :)
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: